Author Topic: "Retry using extra-long path support" doesn't really work  (Read 9113 times)

testplayer

• View Profile
"Retry using extra-long path support" doesn't really work
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:39:10 »
Hello,

I was trying to copy some folders with very deep folder structure to external hard drive by using MC (to keep all folder time stamps). Since the path is > 260 characters, MC will pop-up a window providing 4 options: Rename, Skip, AutoRename and Retry using extra-long path support. I did click on the "Retry using extra-long path support", but it didn't work, and the window will pop-up again. I also checked the "Do this for ALL files with this error?" and still didn't work. Is this a bug? I am using Windows XP SP3 32-bit and MC build 1275.

I really appreciate it if this issue can be solved. Thanks in advance!

PS: I tried, and the only option that works is the "AutoRename". But this is really bad  :'(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:43:13 by testplayer »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: "Retry using extra-long path support" doesn't really work
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:57:34 »
Depends on how long the path was.
Most of the function in MC support a path up to 4096. If it is longer then that there still can be an issue

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:28:56 »
Thanks for your reply.
The length is longer than 260, but definitely less than 4096.
I also tested it on windows 7 64-bit. It seems that the option "Retry using extra-long path support" works if the destination folder path length is already > 260 (the normal context menu will not show), however, if the destination folder path length is less than 260 (the normal context menu still works), and if I copy some folder to that destination so that the final path length after copy will be > 260, then the option will not work (but not every time, sometimes it still works. It seems that this issue really depends on the destination folder structure).

Update: If I copy an empty folder to a very long path destination, it will not copy it at all, neither will it pop-up any window for selecting an option. But If I copy an empty folder together with some other non-empty folders, then MC will pop-up the window, and whether the option "Retry using extra-long path support" works depends on the destination folder structure/length.

PS: Is there any way to force MC to copy everything using extra-long path support? I hope in that way this problem will disappear.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:21:55 by testplayer »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:50:24 »
Ah okey.

I will see if I can recreate that and fix it.

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:54:23 »
Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it since it is very important to me.