Author Topic: "Copy here" Filename conflict with existing Target file  (Read 11598 times)

dahaiou

• View Profile
"Copy here" Filename conflict with existing Target file
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:02:05 »
I am posting this as a new feature request since I haven't found a setting
to get around it in the current Ver 2.8.2. But if I am missing something please let me know.

First, I have disabled the annoying prompt dialogues when copying and moving files.
They don't really serve any useful purpose and just cause a lot of extra clicking.

BUT, there is a special case: When right-clicking and doing "copy here" to create a
duplicate file within the same directory - NOW I get a message that there is already
a file with the same name. Of course there is - that's the whole point - but am not
given a chance to rename the new copy, the copy operation just fails.

I generally have to revert to the horrible windows file explorer to do this, or copy
to a different directory first, then rename and copy back. All of which is a very
cumbersome way of doing things.

Creating duplicates of an existing file is something I do fairly frequently, and I suspect
a lot of others do as well, so I think there is a good business case for having this
detail fixed.

More specifically, the functionality I am requesting is:
- When copying files and there is filename-conflict with an existing target file: Prompt for a new filename, don't just fail the operation.
   (even if the prompt dialogue has been disabled for non-conflicting copy operations - the dialogue is not needed there)

There is another feature I am missing with "copy here", but I'll write a separate post for that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:12:20 by dahaiou »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: "Copy here" Filename conflict with existing Target file
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:42:18 »
If you copy files using copy/paste ("Copy here" ? MC does not have this ? ) from the context menu (right click menu) then most likely the copying is NOT done by Multi Commander, but probably by Windows Explorer or some other shell extension.

The Right click menu that is show is the Windows Explorer context menu.  So Windows Explorer controls what does show in it.

To copy using MC press the Copy button or Hotkey for copy.

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:51 »
Thanks for the quick answer.

Well, it's hard to believe that MC is not involved in the operation since the MC progress
dialogue pops up when attempting to copy in this way.
(1% completed, Preparing ..., with buttons for Skip, Pause, Abort and Show Queue>>)
I think that dialogue definitely is opened by MC. Right?

After that (a split second after) an error window pops up: Source and Target file are the same,
Cannot copy a file to itself. - I do believe this error dialogue may be from Windows itself.

But since the operation is started from MC and the copy progress dialogue opens up,
there should be a way to catch the situation and do something about it from MC.

Also, this copying behaviour is not the same as under Windows explorer.
There the file IS copied and the new target file is renamed as "filename - Copy.ext"
It does look like something different is happening when it is called from MC.

PS. I tried your suggestion and tested with the Copy/Paste buttons (Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V work too)
and there it DOES work the same way as under Windows explorer ie. I get a duplicate with
- Copy added to the filename. This workaround will be very handy, but it would be
better to have the right-click-drag-and-drop work too.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 13:06:30 by dahaiou »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 13:10:33 »
It is.. But I thought you meant that you selected copy from the right click menu.

If not then MC 'might' do the copy.. depends on if the drag was started from another application or not and what type of drop data that application sent.

to create a dupe of a file in the same location..the easiest way is to do Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. or File>Copy Quick. ( Shift+F5 , or Shift-F2 for WinEx key setup)

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 13:26:38 »
OK, I thought I already described it clearly but I'll try again:

The operation I am talking about is done entirely within MC. No other applications involved.

I right-click on a filename, then move the mouse a _short_ distance _within_ the same MC panel,
then release the right-hand mouse button and get a pop-up menu (the Win Expl. one I guess)
and there I select "Copy here" hoping to duplicate that file, within the same directory.

After that the MC copy progress dialogue pops up, and immediately after that comes the error message dialogue.

A fix would still be welcome though with the alternative ways of copying this is not such a high-priority issue for me anymore.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 14:40:09 »
Ahh okey

I put it on the list, But since drag/drop is not highest prio it will not be the first thing that is fixed.
And it will only be fixed as long as it does not conflict with normal operations.

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:08 »
Thanks. I agree it's not high-priority since, as I found out, there are other fairly easy ways of doing the same thing.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 13:06:43 »
Hmm, Might be easier to add a "Duplicate file" option that can be selected instead of copy..