Author Topic: User Defined Commands and Portable Software  (Read 29904 times)

appsuser

• View Profile
User Defined Commands and Portable Software
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:13:52 »
I'm not certain if anyone else has had as much trouble as I have getting the portable version of Multi Commander to work in launching other portable programs, but I was finally able to compose some syntax that does this well, so I thought I'd share it.

I realize you should be able to do this with the External Command Type, but I was never successful with it.  Everything I tried either couldn't find the program, or when the path was successful, gave me "Access Denied".  You can always use a batch script, but then you wind up with an open console window until the external portable program closes.  The best working solution was to use Custom Commands.

For example, if you keep the Multi Commander Portable directory in the same directory as your other portable software (such as \PortableApps), then create a User Command with the Command Type Custom Commands, and the following command syntax:

MC.Run  CMD="${mcinstallpath}\..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe"

This will work no matter what your folder focus is.  If you need to run the program as Administrator, then type this instead:

MC.Run  CMD="${mcinstallpath}\..\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe" ADMIN

I've found that arguments are relative to the command path, so you can type a portable command with an argument like this:

MC.Run CMD="${mcinstallpath}\..\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe" ARG="\Scripts\backup.ahk"

I can now create menus and use Multi Commander as a portable program launcher, increasing its usefulness immensely.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 14:37:36 by appsuser »

popehova

• View Profile
Re: User Defined Commands and Portable Software
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 14:40:49 »
I do not have problems with portable software. I use winpenpack software s x-cafe and x-launcher to port software. x-cafe is a portable associations program that keeps file associations on a ini file in its folder instead of the registry which resets in winpe. The x-launcher is a set of files and directories that writes install info to ini files and makes sure there isn't errors caused by the software attempting to write in a read only area, or one that doesn't exist. Once you learn and set up x-launcher most software you can make portable yourself.