Multi Commander > Script

Rename & move/copy

<< < (4/4)

Ulfhednar:
Thanks for the detailed response Mathias.

I did a tiny bit of C++ years ago.  I expect a lot has changed.  I didn't do enough to remember much. 
I would quite like to try it again - time permitting.
What kind of things would you describe as plug-ins or extensions?  If I want to attempt that I would need some guidelines to avoid major disasters!  :D

The bug fix may well help me, I am using "" quite a lot. 

Going OT -
When you designed MC script what did you use?  Did you take an existing code library or did you write it directly to hardware code?  (Maybe this is a big question?)
To me, a scripting language seems very ambitious, but also a great way to make something you can tailor to your needs.
I think that dynamic is why I am starting to get more from MC - I can tailor things instead of looking for a tool that may do what I want.

Mathias (Author):

--- Quote from: Ulfhednar on August 27, 2013, 13:38:36 ---I did a tiny bit of C++ years ago.  I expect a lot has changed.  I didn't do enough to remember much. 
I would quite like to try it again - time permitting.
What kind of things would you describe as plug-ins or extensions?  If I want to attempt that I would need some guidelines to avoid major disasters!  :D

--- End quote ---
MC is built around a plugin/extension architecture. Everything in MC is almost an plugin. (MultiRename, Checksum, Zip, Rar
Even the "Explorer Panel" in MC is a plugin. (Built in.. and some minor cheats. ) Look in Configuration => Manage Extensions and plugins.

So the API to MC is extensive and some parts is a bit advanced. So you will need some C++ experience to be able to do it..

--- Quote from: Ulfhednar on August 27, 2013, 13:38:36 ---Going OT -
When you designed MC script what did you use?  Did you take an existing code library or did you write it directly to hardware code?  (Maybe this is a big question?)
To me, a scripting language seems very ambitious, but also a great way to make something you can tailor to your needs.
I think that dynamic is why I am starting to get more from MC - I can tailor things instead of looking for a tool that may do what I want.

--- End quote ---
I build the script engine my self from scratch.. From the beginning it was only meant to be something simple to execute multiple program and with very limited features. Like a simple .bat script engine but that could connect to MC.
But it grow with more and more features and become way way more complex then first intended.
I been thinking about replacing it with a javascript engine instead. But I have not found one that is small enough and flexible enough to use.

Ulfhednar:
I see.  That all makes sense.  I can see why the complete 'explorer replacement' path could be a big step code-wise in this case.
That said, at the moment even without bypassing/removing the clutter of Win Explorer you have achieved a great deal. 
I will have to spend more time reading your documentation & see if anything clicks for me.

I guess using Java would increase functionality, & might increase your script user base if it has a common basis of commands & syntax. 
I personally find java apps don't run well on my system.  Not sure why.  Java is present & says 100% but...
I can put the same app in a VM & it will run fine.   
Most common answer I hear is that it is AV related - if so how would the AV react to a java-based MC scripting engine? 

Mathias (Author):

--- Quote from: Ulfhednar on August 28, 2013, 13:31:47 ---I guess using Java would increase functionality, & might increase your script user base if it has a common basis of commands & syntax. 
I personally find java apps don't run well on my system.  Not sure why.  Java is present & says 100% but...
I can put the same app in a VM & it will run fine.   
Most common answer I hear is that it is AV related - if so how would the AV react to a java-based MC scripting engine? 

--- End quote ---

No no no..
JavaScript is not the same as Java.  Java that runs using VM is something completely different.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/JavaScript_is_not_Java

Javascript is used a lot in webpages. so a lot of people know how it works. And there are good references about it on the net.

Ulfhednar:
Hmm well I might be forgiven for thinking you might write a Java based script from scratch using the Java language....!   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version