Author Topic: Initial  (Read 9307 times)

bviksoe

• View Profile
Initial
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:48:53 »
Hi,

Excellent work. I gave it a spin, and found a few observations. Consider it first impression observations, but from a user that have been using other File Manager applications for quite some time.

x Browsing folder in admin mode
I am unable to navigate into the "C:\PerfLogs", "C:\System Volume Information" and "C:\Recovery" folders on my Windows 8 PC. They will require "admin" mode to access. While technically difficult to achieve (probably requires a shim process), I should be allowed to browser ALL folders.

x Smooth command Line bar integration
Pressing ESC key does not always clear the Command Line field. Once I have entered something, like "CD ", the key-combination CTRL+ENTER does not always paste/append the currently selected file/folder to the Command Line text.

x Typing in Quick Search
I have "Search keys: Alt+Letter" configured. Once I have started typing, I need to release the ALT keys to add more characters. I should be able to just type along with ALT key down. It's a lot easier.

x Command Line bar history
I'd like to have the history browsing shortcuts mapped to only "CTRL+UP" and "CTRL+DOWN" instead, allowing me to navigate the filelist with UP and DOWN keys while still editing.

x Command Line bar Quick buttons
Shows Notepad and Calc app. But where do you configure these? Right-clicking on the toolbar gives me "Insert User Defined Command" which doesn't seem to be it. The Button Editor does work with these either.

x Browsing My Computer
I have a need to browse the "My Computer" folder. Specifically any Shell extension installed. I have currently no apparent way to navigate to this folder. It is not available in the Drives dropdown list. It is not possible to activate "cd ::{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d}" on the Command Line bar.
I see several other users requesting this. I know this requires support of the program (ie. not using the FindFirstFile APIs) and is a fundamental way to build a File Manager (File APIs vs Shell APIs). Really hope you consider switching to the Shell APIs as it will future-proof the application on modern Windows.

x Multi-Rename filter
It doesn't seem to support "Search & Replace" filters with simple file pattern matching (* and ?). How do I activate the RegEx option?

x MultiDataViewer
Most menu-items should have keyboard shortcuts (ie "Word Wrap" and "Line Numbers" don't have any right now). Preferrable working without any CTRL/ALT combo. No "Find Previous" menu-item & shortcut? Missing codepage selector (specifically ANSI, ASCII/DOS, and other DOS codepages).

x Basic navigation with keyboard
The CTRL+BACK doesn't seem to be documented in the Customize Keyboard dialog. There doesn't seem to be a "Go Up" (parent folder) shortcut available. I'd much prefer CTRL+BACK and ALT+BACK to default to "Goto Root" and "Goto Parent/up".

regards
bjarke

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Initial
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:58:56 »
x Browsing folder in admin mode
I am unable to navigate into the "C:\PerfLogs", "C:\System Volume Information" and "C:\Recovery" folders on my Windows 8 PC. They will require "admin" mode to access. While technically difficult to achieve (probably requires a shim process), I should be allowed to browser ALL folders.
The temporary admin mode in MC does not support browsing. it is only for file operations.
But even if you run a program as admin there are folders you do not have access to.. Like  "C:\System Volume Information" that is only for SYSTEM account that is actually above admin.

x Smooth command Line bar integration
Pressing ESC key does not always clear the Command Line field. Once I have entered something, like "CD ", the key-combination CTRL+ENTER does not always paste/append the currently selected file/folder to the Command Line text.
If the focus in in the command line field and you press ESC till will clear the command line.
CTRL+Enter works if the focus is in the explorer panel on the item in focus.

x Typing in Quick Search
I have "Search keys: Alt+Letter" configured. Once I have started typing, I need to release the ALT keys to add more characters. I should be able to just type along with ALT key down. It's a lot easier.
As soon as the quick search window opens you can release the alt key

x Command Line bar history
I'd like to have the history browsing shortcuts mapped to only "CTRL+UP" and "CTRL+DOWN" instead, allowing me to navigate the filelist with UP and DOWN keys while still editing.
Not sure I understand what yo want to do..

x Command Line bar Quick buttons
Shows Notepad and Calc app. But where do you configure these? Right-clicking on the toolbar gives me "Insert User Defined Command" which doesn't seem to be it. The Button Editor does work with these either.
Drag and drop to place new programs there.  and if you right click on an existing program you do customize on it to modify it

x Browsing My Computer
I have a need to browse the "My Computer" folder. Specifically any Shell extension installed. I have currently no apparent way to navigate to this folder. It is not available in the Drives dropdown list. It is not possible to activate "cd ::{20d04fe0-3aea-1069-a2d8-08002b30309d}" on the Command Line bar.
I see several other users requesting this. I know this requires support of the program (ie. not using the FindFirstFile APIs) and is a fundamental way to build a File Manager (File APIs vs Shell APIs). Really hope you consider switching to the Shell APIs as it will future-proof the application on modern Windows.
No MC not use the Shell api, It is slow and a whole lot of other problems. There are Pros and Cons for both apis. An the FileAPI is not going anywhere, it is what the ShellAPI is using underneath.
MC will show what the filesystem looks like and not what the Shell API changes it to look like.

x Multi-Rename filter
It doesn't seem to support "Search & Replace" filters with simple file pattern matching (* and ?). How do I activate the RegEx option?
RegEx is supported in the current beta release

x MultiDataViewer
Most menu-items should have keyboard shortcuts (ie "Word Wrap" and "Line Numbers" don't have any right now). Preferrable working without any CTRL/ALT combo. No "Find Previous" menu-item & shortcut? Missing codepage selector (specifically ANSI, ASCII/DOS, and other DOS codepages).
I lot a lot of items for the viewer on my todo list. Some your issue are on the list.

x Basic navigation with keyboard
The CTRL+BACK doesn't seem to be documented in the Customize Keyboard dialog. There doesn't seem to be a "Go Up" (parent folder) shortcut available. I'd much prefer CTRL+BACK and ALT+BACK to default to "Goto Root" and "Goto Parent/up".
just pressing Backspace works.

bviksoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 14:11:26 »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Most of my items are usability issues, and while you list simple workarounds, they still prevent me from using the application for everyday use. It's simply a matter of having an optimal integration with the command line. The ESC key should work always, I should not be forced to set focus with the mouse. Same with CTRL+Enter combo. And Quick Search with ALT key down is simply much more natural.

I'd like to have the history browsing shortcuts mapped to only "CTRL+UP" and "CTRL+DOWN" instead

I'll explain: While editing the Command Line, using UP and DOWN key activates its history. It would be better to allow UP down KEY to still navigate the filelist, and only have CTRL+UP and CTRL+DOWN key activate the history (both work right now).

I lot a lot of items for the viewer on my todo list. Some your issue are on the list.

Great. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to see the SDK extension.

regards
bjarke

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 14:59:04 »
Thanks for the reply. Most of my items are usability issues, and while you list simple workarounds, they still prevent me from using the application for everyday use.
For you it might be workarounds for other it is how it should work.
We all have different needs and requirement, and somethings that works for some does not work somebody else. It is impossible to create somethings that is perfect for everybody.

It's simply a matter of having an optimal integration with the command line. The ESC key should work always, I should not be forced to set focus with the mouse. Same with CTRL+Enter combo. And Quick Search with ALT key down is simply much more natural.
The key you press is depended on what context you are in. it can not magically know what you want to do. Because some keys combo means something when you stand in place A and something else when you are in place C..  for example ctrl+C should it copy the selected text or the select file.
And you do not need to set focus with mouse. (Almost everything can be done without a mouse in MC. atleast if you are using the command styled setup) You can move focus to/from commandline bar with the keyboard (the key to the right of the 1 key).
And also ESC have different meaning in different places , it is also used for to break folder scanning, folder sizing and other background tasks.

ALT down in quick search might be natural for you. But for a lot of other people it is not. Specially if you have a lot of hotkeys connect to ALT. Then they can be activated instead of quick search when you start using that.  But as you see you can tweak that settings.
There are a lot of settings to tweak. (maybe to many) and some combination might trigger some conflicts with other settings and start to create a strange behavior. If that happens I will look into it.

I'd like to have the history browsing shortcuts mapped to only "CTRL+UP" and "CTRL+DOWN" instead
I'll explain: While editing the Command Line, using UP and DOWN key activates its history. It would be better to allow UP down KEY to still navigate the filelist, and only have CTRL+UP and CTRL+DOWN key activate the history (both work right now).
Maybe. I Add it as a investigate issue on my list.