Author Topic: A couple of questions with the new version  (Read 8741 times)

GrantSP

• View Profile
A couple of questions with the new version
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:30:03 »
I have just updated to the latest version and I thought I would ask a couple of questions that have puzzled me.

1) I have a number of 'cloud drives' and previously only SkyDrive was showing in the toolbar, now not even that shows up. I have checked the options to have them displayed. Is there something else that has to be done? They all show in explorer without problem.

2) Is there a setting to unselect a group of files after an operation has been performed on them? ie. If I select some files and do a Checksum on them, there is no need to keep them selected.

3) I would like to select all the files within a directory tree and perform a Checksum on them and include the folder structure in the resulting file report. Could this be possible? Maybe I will have to create some scripts?

4) The way the name of the Checksum report is named is strange. Although multiple files may be selected, the resulting file is always called after the top file in the selection. Why not just name it "report" or name it with time/date?

Thank you.

I always enjoy using this software, simply the best file manager around. No question about it, it just is the best.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: A couple of questions with the new version
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:55:06 »
I have just updated to the latest version and I thought I would ask a couple of questions that have puzzled me.

1) I have a number of 'cloud drives' and previously only SkyDrive was showing in the toolbar, now not even that shows up. I have checked the options to have them displayed. Is there something else that has to be done? They all show in explorer without problem.
This is fixed in the newest beta.. build 1508

2) Is there a setting to unselect a group of files after an operation has been performed on them? ie. If I select some files and do a Checksum on them, there is no need to keep them selected.
Not automatically. Since checksum is a tools plugin it just acts on all selected files. It can not modify them. But I add it to the list and see if something can be added,
Workaround is to press Ctrl+D..

3) I would like to select all the files within a directory tree and perform a Checksum on them and include the folder structure in the resulting file report. Could this be possible? Maybe I will have to create some scripts?
Just drag the folder over to the checksum panel. and it will add all .md5/sfv files it finds recursively.

4) The way the name of the Checksum report is named is strange. Although multiple files may be selected, the resulting file is always called after the top file in the selection. Why not just name it "report" or name it with time/date?
You mean the filename of the checksum file. md5 / .sfv ?
When having multiple files the checksum file is named after the first because it does not know what to select. Normally when having 1 file you want to have it named after the file.
But maybe an option on how it should generate the name if multiple is selected can be added.

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:19:10 »
Point 1) Great, it wasn't really an important issue for me, just something I noticed. Good to see you are all over it though.

Point 2) Hmm.. That is strange. If I select 1 or more files and then 'Tools - Change Properties (Attributes/Time)...' the selection of those files is changed. Why is it different to other file operations?

Point 3) I can't see what you are describing here. If I 'grab' a folder and drag it over to the CheckSum screen nothing happens. The mouse cursor shows I have selected the folder and it reverts to a normal mouse cursor once I release the mouse button. However no folders/files show in the CheckSum screen, no other dialogs or prompts appear, just a blank screen.

What I am after is something this.

The files to operate on here:

File1.ext
File2.ext
File3.ext
FolderA\File1.ext
FolderA\File2.ext
FolderB\File1.ext
FolderB\File2.ext

At the moment it produces this result after three separate actions

somechecksumfigureshere *File1.ext
somechecksumfigureshere *File2.ext
somechecksumfigureshere *File3.ext

in one report and then:

in another for the FolderA, and lastly:

for FolderB

What I desire is a report like this

somechecksumfigureshere *File3.ext
somechecksumfigureshere *FolderA\File1.ext
somechecksumfigureshere *FolderA\File2.ext
somechecksumfigureshere *FolderB\File1.ext
somechecksumfigureshere *FolderB\File2.ext

I understand that this might be a bit beyond the scope of the file tool, and I am quite prepared to just produce the report manually. Since I sometimes work with 100s of files and need a way to update the checksums for these files and have it in a config file (for another program). The ability to do this easily would be nice. But not essential.

Point 4) I remembered an open source shell extension I used to use, before I found MultiCommander. It gave a 'Save as..' dialog box for naming the file report if many files were selected. The source is found here. http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

Thank you Mathias

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 13:07:08 »
3) Ahh you want to CREATE a checksum file that has references to files in subfolders.. Well that is not supported since the .sfv /.md5 file formats does not really support that.
And it would break compatibility with other programs.
But I have been think about an option to allow that to be overridden.