Author Topic: Having a problem with shell context menu  (Read 8412 times)

hol353

• View Profile
Having a problem with shell context menu
« on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:31 »
Hi

Multi Commander is a great program. I've been using it for quite a while - well done.

With the recent update, I now have a problem with the shell context menu in one particular directory.

In the root directory of my Windows profile, when I right click on any folder I only get a single menu option "New". When I click on New, I get the usual sub menu and if I select "Text Document" to create a new .txt file, it creates the file in the sub folder, not the folder where I originally right clicked.

When I right click on any file in my Windows Profile directory I don't get any shell context menu at all.

Windows explorer doesn't have this problem. Nor do I have this problem in Multi Commander with any other folder that I've come across.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

Regards
Dean

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Having a problem with shell context menu
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:17:50 »
Shell context menu are messy. They depend on that all the 3d party programs (All installed shell extensions) plays nice, And if some of them do not do that it messes things up for all.
Also the Profile folders are special and it might be some virtual folder issues too.

I do not think there are any workarounds for it.

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:24 »
I can add some, not very helpful, information to this.

When I first read this post earlier today I thought I would test it to see what was going on.

In my user root folder there was no problem at all, the context menu worked perfectly. However.
Now as I am posting these further posts I thought I would check again and now the context menu behaves just as described in the opening post.

I have no idea why this would happen, nothing has changed at my end on my system.

hol353

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 00:18:42 »
As a programmer I know how messy context menus can be to deal with. But the menu was working immediately before I upgraded Multi Commander. Nothing else has changed. It also works fine in Windows Explorer.

Of course to fix any potential problems, you need to reproduce it at your end. That might be difficult.

Dean

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:52 »
The problem is that there was other issues with the old context menu code that are fixed now.
Not sure what is so special with just that folder and why it fails only there..

The crazy thing is that
C:\Users\<username>\<anyfolder>  - Fails
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\<anyfolder>  - Works 

They are both the same location "C:\Documents and Settings" is a NTFS file Junction link to "C:\Users" so the real path does not work but the "redirect" works.