Author Topic: Using the cursor location in inactive explorer panels  (Read 8375 times)

GrantSP

• View Profile
Using the cursor location in inactive explorer panels
« on: November 16, 2013, 01:11:48 »
Let me see if I can explain what is going on.

With the two panels of MC, one is always active and the other is not. Obviously this is good because any commands you start are only going to apply to the active panel, since that is where your attention should be.
However, when you select a tab on the opposite panel the position of the cursor is where it was when you left it. Clearly there is some internal memory of the position, either via the Windows operating system or code within MC.
My question is this:
Is it possible to use that inactive panel file/folder selection in a command? Possibly sending both files in either panels to an external program?
Since the file/folder under the cursor, in the inactive panel, is still referenced somehow.

Related but not important is, are the cursor positions of inactive TABS inside the same panel treated the same way as the panel on the other side?
Or to put it another way. How does the program keep track of the cursor positions on ALL the inactive TABS for either panel? Is it useful for file manipulation?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Using the cursor location in inactive explorer panels
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 13:25:34 »
Let me see if I can explain what is going on.

With the two panels of MC, one is always active and the other is not. Obviously this is good because any commands you start are only going to apply to the active panel, since that is where your attention should be.
However, when you select a tab on the opposite panel the position of the cursor is where it was when you left it. Clearly there is some internal memory of the position, either via the Windows operating system or code within MC.
Guess you do not mean the cursor (mouse) but the item that is in focus.. Well it never goes away it is just colored different when the item panel has input focus or not. And it depending on what colors settings is used.

My question is this:
Is it possible to use that inactive panel file/folder selection in a command? Possibly sending both files in either panels to an external program?
Since the file/folder under the cursor, in the inactive panel, is still referenced somehow.
You can access selected/focused items from both the source and target panel

http://multicommander.com/docs/multitags
http://multicommander.com/docs/multiscript/functions/getfilefromview

Related but not important is, are the cursor positions of inactive TABS inside the same panel treated the same way as the panel on the other side?
Or to put it another way. How does the program keep track of the cursor positions on ALL the inactive TABS for either panel? Is it useful for file manipulation?
Every Explorer Panel is a own instance. Think of every tab as its own started program that are just placed inside a tab.
(kind of.. but not really.)

GrantSP

• View Profile
Re: Using the cursor location in inactive explorer panels
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 00:39:16 »
Excellent.

Yes I did mean 'focus' not cursor.

Now to play around with those script options and see what I can do.

Thank you.