Author Topic: Main Top Menu Font Change  (Read 14139 times)

oktom

• View Profile
Main Top Menu Font Change
« on: January 18, 2014, 11:57:25 »
I sure would love to use a larger font in the main top menu. It would be great to have the pull-down menus in the same font. I have one of those super high resolution monitors, and the menus are tiny. Thanks for any consideration.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Main Top Menu Font Change
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 09:30:38 »
If you now run at a super high resolution. Then don't you want the menu to be bigger in ALL programs and not just MC ?
MC is using the font size Windows has set for menus. And that size can be configured in the Windows Settings.
Changing it in windows settings all programs that are showing menu will have a bigger one.

oktom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 16:53:16 »
If you now run at a super high resolution. Then don't you want the menu to be bigger in ALL programs and not just MC ?
MC is using the font size Windows has set for menus. And that size can be configured in the Windows Settings.
Changing it in windows settings all programs that are showing menu will have a bigger one.

No, most of my programs that I use every day have fonts that can be set, just as many fonts can be set in MC. I've already set the font global size to 135% in Windows - if that's what you're talking about. I don't think that I can crank that up any more without having a negative impact on other programs.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 17:04:30 »
oktom,
I suppose Mathias talked about Menu font size which can be customized in the Personalization setup (Win7) - look here
(for WinXP look here)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 17:50:28 »

No, most of my programs that I use every day have fonts that can be set, just as many fonts can be set in MC. I've already set the font global size to 135% in Windows - if that's what you're talking about. I don't think that I can crank that up any more without having a negative impact on other programs.

No, Im not talking about the DPI settings. (However, MC will also use that) But you can also change the base font size for all of the UI elements there.
Like MenuBar, Windows boarder, Title bar and so on.  (See the  replay from Jungle)
And if you change the font for MenuBar there all programs will now use that font size. (Unless it is a program that do not use the standard menubar component that Windows provide)

I do not think it is a good idea to override the standard way to change the MenuBar font, I think MC should use the font defined for the MenuBar in Windows, Because if you want larger menubar then you want it in all programs. And then you should do the change in windows.

Here is where you change it in Windows 8/8.1

oktom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:45:18 »
I did as suggested and got the menus larger on many programs. However, it didn't do a single thing in Multi Commander. I even rebooted the computer to see if a restart would make the changes take effect - nothing.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:15:44 »
oktom,
changing system settings doesn't affect MC, am i right? Have no idea what's wrong. As you can see on attached pictures, normally it works.

oktom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:34:48 »
Thanks for trying to help me. I'm running Windows 7. I didn't think of doing a fresh install of the new Multi Commander. I ran the beta and installed the new one over the last beta. Who knows - I'll try a fresh start.

ice-man

• The Little Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:56:15 »
It works on Windows 7 for me.
I also tested and old version (v2.5) and it worked it that too.

Maybe you changed any compatibility settings on the Multi Commander shortcut ?

Intel i7-6700K - Running on latest Windows 10 64bit Insider Preview

oktom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:52 »
Yeah! - I got it. Thanks for all the help. I had to uninstall and install fresh. Once I did that, changing the menu settings worked. In fairness to the program, I've installed several Multi-Commander versions over each other as beta versions increased and the final version came out. I should have known to install fresh. I love it - my eyes thank you again.