Author Topic: no visible folders or files since version 4.0.1611  (Read 15644 times)

jaymz69

• View Profile
no visible folders or files since version 4.0.1611
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:37 »
hello

I already mailed U Mathias but seems now my address is blocked by spam blocker -- dont know why  :'(
anyway... I cant see any folders and/or their contents [not only those which are hidden] ie panels are empty on either side though the path above them is fully specified

its not the hidden issue on/off -- I double checked it and the option was set to show hidden folders

I can navigate to them by usin search option for specific folder/file and then in the tab/panel I can see the path to folder/file which allows me to move around but its tiresome not to be able to see folders or files at all

as a reminder its on windows 7 64bit version and the version 3.5.1.1530 has no signs of such a problem

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Re: no visible folders or files since version 4.0.1611
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:23:09 »
Clean install?
Try disabling file coloring.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:49 »
Is the file/folder icons shown ?

Have you tweaked colors or are you running default colors ?

Is the status field for the Explorer panel are the size and file/folder count correct ?
Example "0 KB/ 200Kb in 0 / 14 files and 0 / 10 Folders selected"

You can create a backup of the configuration in under Menu > Help > Backup and then upload the config backup to http://multicommander.com/upload/
and I can check if it is a configuration issue. If some settings are in conflict.

jaymz69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 16:06:25 »
well... clean install helped thank U...

I dont remember changin anythin about file colorin or such so I dont know what the reason was really

but its ok now thx again...

however... when I started 'playin' with the 'show hidden files/folders' button the issue appears again... one panel just disappeared completely after hittin this button... then it was back and then gone again... its the same on both panels: when I hit this button not only do hidden files/folders disappear but everythin thats on the partiotion is gone from view... any clues?

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 17:45:18 »
Indeed. I can confirm strange behaviour of hide/show hidden button. It broke my coloring until MC restart. But it happened only once and i can not reproduce it.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 17:49:59 »
well... clean install helped thank U...

I dont remember changin anythin about file colorin or such so I dont know what the reason was really

but its ok now thx again...

however... when I started 'playin' with the 'show hidden files/folders' button the issue appears again... one panel just disappeared completely after hittin this button... then it was back and then gone again... its the same on both panels: when I hit this button not only do hidden files/folders disappear but everythin thats on the partiotion is gone from view... any clues?
So the status field is correct when there is no files. Then I can only guess that the file colors have been mixed up or something.

Only way I can make it happen is if all files and folders has hidden or system flag set. But then the status field is correct. and also shows no files
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 18:05:02 by Mathias (Author) »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 17:51:12 »
Indeed. I can confirm strange behaviour of hide/show hidden button. It broke my coloring until MC restart. But it happened only once and i can not reproduce it.
The File Colors are reset. A color reset bug is here so it revert to previous color profile.

jaymz69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:01:46 »
Im sorry to bother U again but... after installin the latest update [namely to version 4.1.1620] the issue is there again... both panels are empty... I didnt touch the 'hide folders/files' button and I didnt alter the colorin either... when I navigate thru docs or downloads folders they show their content normally but when I get back to main folder [e.g. D:\] it shows there are no folders or files on the partiotion whatsoever

help plz

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:12:19 »
Strange.. It does not make any sense.

Does it help of you try to force a refresh ? or still blank.. 
You say "back" to D:\ Do you mean that when you first viewed D:\ is was showing but after you went to another location and when you got back to D:\ it was empty ? or is it always empty when you browse D:\

Also the Status field.. Does it say there are files and folders there when it is blank,. so does it say 0/0 files and 0/0 folders selected.

If you go to menu > Help > Backup / Restore
and create a backup of your configuration and send it to me at http://multicommander.com/upload/
And I will check if it is some configuration issue.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:18:47 by Mathias (Author) »

jaymz69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 19:25:47 »
Im sayin 'back' to D:\ meaning I go to main folder as opposed to docs or downloads folders which I mentioned before and which show their content normally -- using 'arrow' I go up folders until main folder which shows no content on the partition

status... in docs [or any other favorite folder selected from top menu] it shows the correct number of files/folders but in the main folder it is truly 0/0 files and 0/0 folders

I created backup but while doing it a strange thing happened... when I tried to selected each of my 3 partitions for the save location it gave me 'permission access denied' info... and again I could easily save in any of my personal folders or on the desktop

backup sent to the designated location

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 21:43:40 »
I created backup but while doing it a strange thing happened... when I tried to selected each of my 3 partitions for the save location it gave me 'permission access denied' info... and again I could easily save in any of my personal folders or on the desktop

Sound like you do not have permissions to write to those locations..

However..

Your settings works for me. I have no issues browsing the filesystem.
I don't understand why it does not work for you.
Something on your machine is special against other system. The question is what is special with your setup..
Maybe it is some permission problems and some of the folders you pass on the way up you do not have permission to browse ? Not sure.

To check if it is a permission issue. you can test to run MC as administrator and see if you still get the same issue.

jaymz69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 15:03:35 »
but the thing is I always run Ur application with admin privileges -- if we are talkin about context menu... I know that there is this option to turn on admin rights from within Ur application but I cant remember now where to find this option

plus... if it were my system preventin sth to run correctly the issue would appear when I revert to version 3.5 but its not there -- revertin to the previous version of Ur application removes the problem completely: all files and folders are visible with no issues

[edit...] ok the issue is no more and U may treat it as solved... it was the sandbox in my firewall... somehow it put Ur application in the sandbox without askin me for a decision -- Ur comment made me think and I started lookin for a possible reason and found it :)

thx again for a great application and sorry for the trouble :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 15:22:00 by jaymz69 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 15:28:38 »
but the thing is I always run Ur application with admin privileges -- if we are talkin about context menu... I know that there is this option to turn on admin rights from within Ur application but I cant remember now where to find this option

plus... if it were my system preventin sth to run correctly the issue would appear when I revert to version 3.5 but its not there -- revertin to the previous version of Ur application removes the problem completely: all files and folders are visible with no issues
No the context menu thing is when you are launching other programs as admin. it is not show when you are already running as admin.

Maybe MC is no longer run as admin ? maybe the flag for the shortcut to always start it as admin got lost when updating ?
If MC are run with admin permissions you will see the text "[Admin]" in the titlebar.
( I don't understand why you did not have permission then to write the backup file if you was running as admin. )

The thing is that there are no changes since 3.5 that changes how MC scan the file system. It is the same so why it does not work on your machine is very strange.

I don't have any idea why it does not work on your machine. it does not make sense. Something is different with your setup and everybody else. Question is what.