Author Topic: Search directories for certain properties.  (Read 7925 times)

Trude

• View Profile
Search directories for certain properties.
« on: April 05, 2014, 12:15:34 »
Hi,

First time I wanted to search directories to find which contain less than 1 MB data I kind of expected a different result.

From F3 I placed my search as I did with commander back in the old dos: *.
Thus, my filter say I want only file names without ext which includes directories.
And for size I choose less than and 1 MB, but there is no hit even thoguh I know there is a lot of directories in the path I search in if size is smaller than 1 MB.

So I guess it doesn't work as clever as in the old world where *. means all files without ext. including directories.

Thus, this is my request for the next version. It would probably be a good idea to separate directories from other files without ext.

Also I wander if there is a plan for scripting so that I can do whatever filtering and commands I like, preferably so that I can see the result before I apply them. If such a file explorer already exist I would be happy if somebody told me what's the name. Maybe there is a plugin or maybe it's easy to make one for my needs?

Regards,

Trude

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Search directories for certain properties.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 13:01:34 »
No "*." do not work anymore. Did before but was change because of too many complains.

but you can use regex "^([^.]+)$"  this will match name without extension

If you do not it to match directories .. Then enable Attributes matches and uncheck the "directory" attribute.

You do search and set view filter from script. ( MC.FileSearch.Search ,MC.Explorer.SetViewFilter )
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 13:04:19 by Mathias (Author) »

Trude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:39:53 »
Hi Mathias,

Forst of all I'm not familiar with the syntax you're giving me, but I copy and pased it in and it does indeed work as you said - when used alone. Where do I find a complete overview of syntax?

I do get a problem though, when I try to add size less than 1 MB. Then I get no hit. It is like if adding size imply I'm searching for a file, but what I really want is all directories if all files added together is smaller than 1 MB.

I could of course do it by sorting directories by size with Shift Alt Enter, but then I wouldn't be able to manipulate the seach with sub levels, dates and attributes.

Trude.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:59:39 »
Forst of all I'm not familiar with the syntax you're giving me, but I copy and pased it in and it does indeed work as you said - when used alone. Where do I find a complete overview of syntax?
You need to check the "regex" box for it to use regular expression

I do get a problem though, when I try to add size less than 1 MB. Then I get no hit. It is like if adding size imply I'm searching for a file, but what I really want is all directories if all files added together is smaller than 1 MB.

I could of course do it by sorting directories by size with Shift Alt Enter, but then I wouldn't be able to manipulate the search with sub levels, dates and attributes.
No you cannot matching folder size in search. Folders by them self do not have a size.
You can list folder size in the Explorer panel by selecting files and selecting menu > tools > Calculate folder size