Author Topic: File context menu doesn't work on 4.5.1766  (Read 16732 times)

Kreator

• View Profile
File context menu doesn't work on 4.5.1766
« on: August 13, 2014, 16:54:25 »
I press right mouse button, see a rolling cursor for 2 seconds and then the MC window goes back and some other window appears on top. But no menu. If I press RMB on a folder, everything works OK.
On version 4.4.1725 menu works right. Can't tell you, when it appeared, couldn't get previous beta version. But I haven't notice such behavior before. Ask, if you need any additional info.
Thank you.
Save our fragile planet!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: File context menu doesn't work on 4.5.1766
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 17:29:11 »
That is strange, nothing about that has changed since last version.
It works for me. so it is not a general error..

What if you press the "context menu" key on the keyboard.. (the key too the right of the right windows key)
Is it on all files or only on some file type  ?

You say "Some other window appears" can that be the menu that popup but goes away directly ? or is it something completely different

Kreator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 18:33:53 »
I think I know now how to reproduce. It's not 4.5 problem, it starts earlier.
Run MC, minimize all windows (either with RMB or with WIN+D or with button in right bottom corner of the screen), then activate MC (with mouse or keyboard) and try context menu on any file. Don't change dir, just try to get menu (with mouse or keyboard). If you change dir, everything will work OK, but just after activating MC window, file context menu will not show.
I noticed, that menu won't show for files, that have icons or/and registered program to open with. However, *.exe menu will show OK. If I try *.inf, *.ini, *.txt and other registered filetypes, the menu won't be shown. If  Itry *.bak, *.tmp or other unknown types - the menu will be shown.
Hope it helps.
Save our fragile planet!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 19:39:05 »
Can't reproduce it here.

Was it the same if you used the keyboard conextmenu button ? if you show other popup menu in other places do they also auto close  ?

Very weird kind of steps. Do you have any program that hook them self into windows like autohotkey or some other tool that intercepts windows calls. ?
There is no logic why MC should cancel the popup directly when it is shown. it only happens if anohter windows get input focus so that the popup is losing focus.

Kreator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 21:21:16 »
I've made video with all actions.
http://rghost.ru/57453375
Don't worry it's an exe, uvScreenCamera makes a container with player and video in exe format.
Note, that when I press call context menu, the current language indicator in the right bottom corner disappears and then appeares again. If I don't minimize all windows, the indicator won't disappear and all works fine. Doesn't matter what you use - keyboard or mouse, result is same. Menu doesn't appear only on those files - registered file types, not executable and not folder. All other places it works OK. If there is other window opened, the focus goes to it.
I don't use any key-hooking programs.
No idea about what happens. Why menu popups so long? In Explorer it appeares fast. Maybe it's because the menu is called some other way than usual?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 21:24:45 by Kreator »
Save our fragile planet!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 22:23:00 »
The thing is that the ContextMenu is build by Windows. MC is just calling Windows to show a context menu for item X.. Everything behind the scene is handled by windows.
When the popup menu is bulit the first time it will loads all of the registered shell extension into MC and this can takes some time.
Normally only the first time it shows it, it is slow.  So some shell extension is taking its time to decide what menu items it what to add to the popup menu (if any)
The problem is that it is not very easy to figure out what shell extension is slowing it down.

Have you installed any new shell extension resonantly ?

Also most shell extension are also only tested for WindowsExplorer and some of them assume that the calling windows is Windows Explorer, And when it is not they can behavior strange.
Also some shell extension is not working well together with other shell extension. I seen all kind of crazy thing with badly written shell extension.
But that why someone created a tool to easily list and enable/disable them :  ShellExView  ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html )

Shell Extension are know to be able to cause many strange issues.
Weird issues by context menu handlers

Disappearing Menu is something else. Something must steal the focus away from MC.  It is strange that the language thing goes away and comes back.
Also the dropdown box on the taskbar look suspicious.  ComboBoxes 'can' steal focus if they are repositions. and since the language button is removed this is moved.
Anyway.. something is interfering with the showing of the menu.
Is it only the context menu that gets canceled ? or is it all popup menus ? likeif you right click on commandline field or right click on the filter icon.

Kreator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:56:57 »
Thank you for full relpy.
I'll try to test all I can tonight. I haven't installed anything in near past. I'll try to investigate shell extensions and language indicator. Thanks for the utility link, it will help.
Save our fragile planet!

Kreator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 17:05:19 »
Only file context menu does't work. All other menus open well. I have tried to disable Context menu handlers in ShellExView. But it didn't help, unfortunately. And without address bar in the taskbar menu doesn't work. I think it's something about some apps installed or Windows bug. And maybe I haven't produced such combination before to notice that.
But yes, it's only my home PC's problem, on my work PC the menu works OK.
Thank you again, you are doing good thing ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 20:18:36 by Kreator »
Save our fragile planet!