Author Topic: full change logs and source code for multi commander?  (Read 9518 times)

tonklin

• View Profile
full change logs and source code for multi commander?
« on: December 02, 2014, 20:31:54 »
Hello Mathias,

1) is there exhaustive version history publicly available?
newbielink:http://multicommander.com/release/multicommander/changelog [nonactive] says something like "Over 85+ Changes" for some versions and then lists only some of them
1a) for version 4.4 the headline is:
Release v4.4 Release Candidate (Build 1725) ......
and for other versions it is:
Release v4.3.1 (Build 1702) ......
(without "Release Candidate" words)
why 4.4 is mentioned as "Release Candidate"? is it somehow fundamentally different from other versions?

2) Are you considering to ever open the source code of Multi Commander?
I would like to try and implement several small features I got used to from Total Commander, namely:
- ability to deselect files/folders with Shift+Up/Down, as an optional mode (was actually suggested elsewhere on these forums)
- option to block closing of last tab on current panel when pressing Ctrl+W
- option to make current tab on each panel more prominent when tab colors are off (ex. with thick line on top of current tab, like in TC) and use bold font for tabs' headers
- option to highlight current drive button when separate drive buttons are shown for each panel
- ability to turn off button panel changing when Ctrl/Alt/Shift are pressed and held
- ability to edit Standard / File Commands toolbars
- ability to move command line toolbar to the bottom, right above button panel and add current path to the left of it
- option to use old style rounded tab headers, like in versions before 4.5
- change color of Multi Commander's icon to blue or green or grey, possibly for splash screen too

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: full change logs and source code for multi commander?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 21:35:47 »
Hello Mathias,

1) is there exhaustive version history publicly available?
http://multicommander.com/release/multicommander/changelog says something like "Over 85+ Changes" for some versions and then lists only some of them
Not more then you find there. The internal change log list would not provide anything useful.

1a) for version 4.4 the headline is:
Release v4.4 Release Candidate (Build 1725) ......
and for other versions it is:
Release v4.3.1 (Build 1702) ......
(without "Release Candidate" words)
why 4.4 is mentioned as "Release Candidate"? is it somehow fundamentally different from other versions?
Typo.. it is RC until it is released.  Just forgot to remove the RC name adding that...

2) Are you considering to ever open the source code of Multi Commander?
Open.. Nope, sorry.  Many reasons.. one is that I'm using some 3de party code that I can not redistribute.
Also the architecture of MC is not easy to jump into and add things without understanding the whole architecture.
it is over 600.000+ lines of C++ code.

- ability to turn off button panel changing when Ctrl/Alt/Shift are pressed and held
That option is already there..  Under Core Settings..

- ability to move command line toolbar to the bottom, right above button panel and add current path to the left of it
It Is possible.  But are some issues with it..  ( MultiCommander.xml -> config/layout/toolbars/location value="0" )

Tabbed Toolbar ??  That was so UGLY... It is actually still there. options for enabling it are just removed. (I think)

- change color of Multi Commander's icon to blue or green or grey, possibly for splash screen too
No.. I like the orange one..  But if you can always send in some improvements if you have some. If they are better I might use them..

There is a SDK for extending MC with Tools/Utils. But the SDK do not allow for extending internal parts..

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 21:41:47 »
Tabbed Toolbar ??  That was so UGLY... It is actually still there. options for enabling it are just removed. (I think)

Ahh you mean the rounded tab for the panel.. No that is so WinXP..  Modern design/layout is mode flat. So the flat tabs looks better on modern version of Windows. (It also draws faster since it does not have to draw rounded corners.)

tonklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:44:54 »
thanks for your answers, Mathias

as for third-party code, how about including it as *.dll or some other pre-built form? Or is it prohibited by their licenses too?

P.S. MCAdmin.exe icon (blue) seems nice to me

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:43:39 »
as for third-party code, how about including it as *.dll or some other pre-built form? Or is it prohibited by their licenses too?
No that would not work. And as I said.. it is only one of the reasons..

P.S. MCAdmin.exe icon (blue) seems nice to me
Jupp. But not as the main app icon..