Author Topic: Copy/move by dragging with Ctr/Shift key held down  (Read 11351 times)

Sempervivum

• View Profile
Copy/move by dragging with Ctr/Shift key held down
« on: December 09, 2014, 00:22:50 »
Hallo,
I would appreciate if it would be possible to copy/move files by dragging with Ctr/Shift key held down the same way as it is possible in Windows Explorer. Some times I find this faster than opening the destination in the other window.
Best regards - Ulrich
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 00:24:24 by Sempervivum »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Copy/move by dragging with Ctr/Shift key held down
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:53 »
Have you tried ?  It is already possible.
If you hold shift while dragging a file to a new location it will be a Move, Holding Ctrl and it will be a Copy.

Sempervivum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 23:20:44 »
Hallo Mathias,
thank you for your answer. Yes I tried it: I first pressed the Ctr/Shift key and then clicked and dragged the file and then it didn't work. After reading your post I tried again and found out that I have to first klick the file and then press the Ctrl/Shift key. If I do it in this order, it works fine. However, I would appreciate if both worked!
Best regards - Ulrich

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 00:30:18 »
I'd say there is something odd about your setup. The described action works exactly as it should for me.
It makes no difference whether the modifier key is pressed first or second, the combined key/mouse action does as it should.

Sempervivum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 19:38:35 »
Hallo,
I reinstalled MC and the problem still exists. I could locate it a little more precisely: Only when the file is selected when the dragging is started, it doesn't work. When it is not, everything works fine.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 22:01:28 »
I'm not able to recreate that.
Maybe you do some unusal customization of some settings that create a conflict. But I don't think there can be.
Don't understand how it can not work for you. Do you have any system wide hotkeys tool or anything else that maybe can steal the keys presses ?

Sempervivum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 23:06:59 »
Do you have any system wide hotkeys tool or anything else that maybe can steal the keys presses ?
Yes, I have Ashampoo Snap but this uses the function keys only. In the original windows explorer drag and drop works fine.
Seems to be a problem of the configuration. I changed some settings and then it worked. But unfortunately I had to restore my OS and it got lost. Restoring a saved version of the config file didn't help. Can you provide a config file where it works? Will the config file be sufficient or does MC store settings in the registry. Or is there a way to set the settings to there initial values?
Best regards - Ulrich

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:53:04 »
Do you have any system wide hotkeys tool or anything else that maybe can steal the keys presses ?
Yes, I have Ashampoo Snap but this uses the function keys only. In the original windows explorer drag and drop works fine.
Seems to be a problem of the configuration. I changed some settings and then it worked. But unfortunately I had to restore my OS and it got lost. Restoring a saved version of the config file didn't help. Can you provide a config file where it works? Will the config file be sufficient or does MC store settings in the registry. Or is there a way to set the settings to there initial values?
Best regards - Ulrich
I don't know what settings you change. It should just work.
MC do not store settings in registry.
Delete C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\MultiCommander\Config\ and it will restore default configuration

Sempervivum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:53:47 »
I've deleted the config folder and afterwards the settings, e. g. colors, had their initial values. I choosed "windows explorer style" at first start. But copying/moving files by holding the ctrl/shift key doesn't work. The behaviour is the same as before.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:00:28 »
I don't know why it does not work for you.
There is no extra setting for that..  pressing shift/ctrl while dragging forced the operation to Move / Copy.
Only reason I can see this happen is if some other program is stealing the keypresses.