Author Topic: Tray Icon appears but all options are disabled  (Read 9203 times)

Alucard2k

• View Profile
Tray Icon appears but all options are disabled
« on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:43 »
Hello, I've been using Multi Commander for two weeks now. The multiupdated just updated to version 5.0 (Build 1888) 64bit.

I'm running on a Windows 7 SP 1 64bit. All the options to show the tray icon are disabled. However, when I open another program (Music Player AIMP3), the tray icon for MC appears.

I have a dual monitor setup, MC is running on the main desktop (left monitor) and AIMP3 opens on the secondary desktop (right monitor), and snaps to the right side of the screen.

If I go to the general options, and enable or disable the options to show the tray icon, it doesn't disappear. Only closing and reopening MC works.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Tray Icon appears but all options are disabled
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 22:28:51 »
I'm not able to recreate that.

You sure that the icon is not there even before you run the other program ? not even if you press the ^ button next to the tray icons ?
Very weird that it just pops up when you run something. Because it can not just appear. Special code need to be run to add the tray.
And starting another program can not trigger that.

And if you disable the "Show a tray icon" the icon do not go away ? That is very weird.
I can't recreate that and I don't see how it is possible.
Must be some kind of weird conflict with some other program that blocks the removal of the tray icon or something.

Alucard2k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:03:44 »
I just reproduced the issue again.

I closed all other programs running and only Multi Commander is open. I even disabled my antivirus temporary to try.

When I open the other program (AIMP3), it again caused the MC tray icon to appear.

I've included two screenshots of my desktop (they are quite big).

Edit: And something else I just noticed. If I close/reopen MC, the tray icon disappears. And closing AIMP3 is causing the icon to appear again.
It looks like AIMP3 is doing something weird with the notification area.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:05:50 by Alucard2k »

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 06:48:29 »
I wonder if it is not just a case of the other program using the first icon it comes across in the cache and it just happens to be MC's.

Maybe a clearing of the cache will rectify it?
A tool like CCleaner can do it or open the Registry and navigate to:
Code: [Select]
HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
If the right hand pane contains IconStreams & PastIconsStream, delete those. Possibly a restart of Explorer is needed.

Just a thought.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 14:28:29 »
I think I found a way to recreate it.

If you Switch user and Switch back again. The tray icon can appear.
If your taskbar is "not" locked and you resize it (to allow multiple rows) the Tray icon can popup
I guess your music player do something with the tray that will trigger the TrayArea size changed event to be sent to all programs.

Alucard2k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:04:23 »
Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I was kinda busy last week.

I also found out that any action that causes the screen to refresh makes the MC icon to appear. I saw these other two cases:

1. MC was running on a laptop, all tray icon options disabled. I connected an external monitor to use as extended deskto and it caused the MC tray icon to appear.
2. I was running MC on a desktop, and then an application disabled Windows Aero. This caused the screen to refresh / redraw, and the MC tray icon appeared.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:11:51 »
Yes As I said. anything that causing the tray area to trigger a resize. So I guess anything that will rebuild the desktop too