Author Topic: Copy / move, filter but preserve folder structure  (Read 6222 times)

crlong

• View Profile
Copy / move, filter but preserve folder structure
« on: March 09, 2015, 11:46:32 »
Hi,

For a friend, who has a jumble of files of different types in wide-spread folders, with duplicated names, we have agreed to collect together files of the same type (*.jpg, *.pdf, etc.) into separate folders. Then a later task is to try to identify the latest versions of each file.

I have used multicommander to find files with same extension (*.doc* , say) under the "C:Users\Name" directory structure and MC correctly finds every file and lists its directory. However if I select and move/copy every file in the search results, MC "flattens" the folder structure (which can be useful I recognise) and allows me only to move/copy and keep only the latest version, ignoring earlier versions of files with same name. I might use that later. But at this stage I want to copy every file of a certain type and preserve the existing directory structure so no file gets deleted. I cannot find a way in MC , but I feel it should be possible.

In someways what I am looking for is a bit like DOS xcopy, but filtering and moving only files with the same extension.

I have read the MC documentation and forum about filters but I can't find something that fits my needs - apologies if I am asking something that has been answered clearly elsewhere. If there is an appropriate answer somewhere please just point me at that description and I will read it and use it.

Regards,

Clive

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Copy / move, filter but preserve folder structure
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:29:10 »
Search will do a flat copy. it can not keep the folder structure. because then we are coming to the question of that is the Reference point. you do not want Users\name\document path. You only want from some level.

It might be possible to do with scripting.

But I would probably use filtering in the normal copy. You can have both include and exclude filters there.
You can match both files and folders.

You can even exclude entire folders with "-/<foldername>"
eg "*.jpg *.pdf -/folderToSkip"  But since I do not know how your structure looks like it hard to give a exact example.

Even if the filter is not 100% and it copy to much , it will probably be easier to match them with search afterwards and delete them.