Author Topic: Bug: all files and folders in the current folder randomly become duplicated  (Read 8107 times)

leopoldus

• View Profile
Already for many versions of Multi-Commander, including the last one 5.1.1 x32. I suffer the following bug, thus it is not an accidental bug of the specific version. Sometimes all files and folders names in certain root folder of my external USB HDD randomly become duplicated. Furthermore, some (not all) of partitions become duplicated too. At the same time all other partitions and folders is still OK. I suppose, that it may happen after some system event, but I don't know, which one. May be. disconnecting and than re-connecting this HDD? But some my tests do not confirm this hypothesis. And why is duplicated this only folder?

Going to other folder and than back does not help.

The only solution I've found by now is to duplicate the tab (hotkey Ctrl+T) - till the next time. Is there any permanent solution?

OS is Windows XP x32.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Wondering if scandisk shows any errors to the FAT or bitmap when this happens. 
USB connections can sometimes jumble the file tables, but do you have an actual copy - all sizes & CRC the same or is it a 'ghost' tree of files?
If the occupied drive space is the same in both conditions then maybe it is a file table problem on that drive.
Could be also be hardware/drive specific, if it does it with Win explorer I would try looking for info from the manufacturer also.

leopoldus

• View Profile
Wondering if scandisk shows any errors to the FAT or bitmap when this happens.  USB connections can sometimes jumble the file tables, but do you have an actual copy - all sizes & CRC the same or is it a 'ghost' tree of files?

Hello Ulfhednar!

Thank you very much, but I'm afraid, that the reply to all your suggestions is "No". I think, that you are searching for an answer in the wrong direction. 

I think it should be the bug of Multi Commander, not of the file system or something like that, because other file managers as Total Commander, Windows Explorer etc do not suffer from this error and shows the same folder content correctly at the same time when Multi Commander does not do it. Or should we suggest, that it is some very special error of the FS , which causes problems  ONLY for Multi Commander and not for most (I have not tested all) of other file managers.

Excuse me, that I forgot to explain this point in my first post.

Added:
Furthermore, as I have already stated in the first message, creating a tab (hotkey Ctrl+T) partly resolve the issue, that is the same folder is shown correctly in a new Explorer tab, but at the same time shows all items in this folder twice in the older tab. So I conclude, that is a bug somewhere in Multi Commander source code or/and in my current settings (but I've made very few changes compared with the default configuration).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 17:58:41 by leopoldus »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
No it is nothing wrong with the disk

It is a know issue, That can happen very rarely on some system.
The duplicates are only in a cache inside MC. not on items on the disk.
If you do a Forced Refresh it will empty cache and scan again and it will fix it self.
(press F2 , or Shift+F2 to really force it (Or F5/Shift+F5 if using Explorer Styled setup instead of Commander Style)

It can happen on slow or very busy HW (or maybe combination of both) when there is a lot of file changes happening. When file changes are happening it will trigger a refresh. And if there area a lot of changes happening a second refresh can be triggered before the previous one is completed in a way that make both refresh operations update the same cache. That should not be possible but someway it happens.
I have not been able to recreate the issue my self so I have not been able to really track done exactly how this can happen.
However a Force Refresh will fix it.

The issue might possible be avoided by changing a tweak setting.

Menu > Configuration > Core Settings > File System (tab)
Scroll down to the last "Tweaking" section and there is a setting called "Browse Filesystem timeout (ms)" by default this is 1500 (ms) change this to 0.
This should disable multiple scan request at the same time. (Maybe)

=================================
If you are able to recreate this and are willing to create a debug log for me.

Type "dbg fslog" in the command line field.  You see a Messagebox saying "Restart MultiCommander"
(Type it again to turn it off)

When it happens again.. Open a new MC and go to the log log folder. ( type ":golog" in the command line field to go there )
Find then latest "<date>-(num)-FileSystem_debug.log"
(Or second latest. becuse the new instance of MC will also create one. and we want the one from the other instance)
Upload it to  http://multicommander.com/upload

However the log contain filenames and paths. so I understand if you are not willing to send it.. thats okey..

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 19:24:11 by Mathias (Author) »