Author Topic: Multi-row tab display  (Read 11055 times)

testplayer

• View Profile
Multi-row tab display
« on: August 31, 2015, 17:27:33 »
I'm glad to see that MC can save and load tabs group to and from file, finally :D. This may not be exactly the same as tab groups in QTTabBar or Directory Opus, but that's enough to me :). Now the thing is, when there are just too many tabs there, showing all of them in single row is just inconvenient. Is it possible to allow multi-row tab display, just like in FireFox (with tab mix plus installed)? I remember FreeCommander has already been able to do this. So it will be great to have this feature, and it won't be too hard, right? Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Multi-row tab display
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 21:11:47 »
I don't know what QT or DirOpus does. Never used them. (Well I used DirOpus on Amiga in the 90 this)
But the current Save/Load is just the first step, Testing the basic. There are more planned like UI management of it and such.

The tabs in MC is not standard UI tabs so it is not just a settings or a easy fix. They are custom UI component with its own rendering.
So adding multiple rows would require a lot of work that would only benefits very few. However I have it on my list, But I do not think I will get to it anytime soon.

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 16:13:06 »
QTTabBar and DOpus can organize opened tabs as groups, and show them in drop-down button in the toolbar, as shown in the attachment (the attachment is using QTTabBar http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/). Maybe it is a good idea to make the favorite button in MC as a drop-down button.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 21:13:14 »
From the picture it looks kind of similar to the direction on what the TabsManager will do. Like save selected tabs into a entrie. and then pick that entire and tabs changes to what was saved and so on

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 08:31:11 »
Wow, that's wonderful!! So when will the TabsManager be implemented in MC? I couldn't wait to use that! ;D

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:41:28 »
No idea. It is still under planning..

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:30 »
Do you have a roadmap, or do you think this can be done by the end of this year?
What about if I donate?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:09 »
Roadmap. Nope really. I got my list and highest prio on that list variates with what I need my self and what I think I will be able to do with the time I can spend.

End of year. Don't know.. all depends on how much time I can spend on developing MC.
Something like this need lots of design and planing and that is the most time consuming bit.