Author Topic: MC unRAR sometimes fails  (Read 8341 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
MC unRAR sometimes fails
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:14:36 »
Just an FYI
I have seen a few files made with WinRAR & 7zip that MC cannot read properly or extract of late.
Sometimes MC will show only folders not files within an archive, sometimes it will show an empty pane.

Not exactly sure why as WinRAR 5.x & 7zip will read & extract etc without any trouble.    ???

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: MC unRAR sometimes fails
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 16:18:42 »
Unpacking/browsing of rar and 7zip are using components that is provided by the creator of rar and 7zip.

I have not seen any issus with the .7z or .rar files that I have, so I can't say if the issue is with the unpack component provided by them or if there is an issues with MC using them. Maybe something have changed in some newer 7z/Rar format that the component that MC using does not support. But I have not found that yet.

If possible, You can upload a rar/7z file that have issues to http://multicommander.com/upload/ and I can take a look.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:42:36 »
I realized I should have kept a sample couple of days after I deleted them   ::)
Next one I find I will upload. 
Is there anything in the properties that can indicate version?  When opening with WinRAR or 7zip they looked the same - buried in a header perhaps?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 22:18:03 »
Is there anything in the properties that can indicate version?  When opening with WinRAR or 7zip they looked the same - buried in a header perhaps?
Nope. Major version is detected in binary header of the file. but not in file properties

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:39:17 »
OK Thanks Mathias.