Author Topic: Quick Launch Bar icon  (Read 8794 times)

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
Quick Launch Bar icon
« on: December 06, 2015, 15:22:14 »
Just a small, almost trivial point.

When installing Multi Commander on a Win 10 box the MC icon does not appear on the Quick Launch Bar.

At installation all three options are checked; the Desktop icon and the Start Menu entry are fine.

Same issue occurred on two separate boxes.

All options worked fine on a Vista box.
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Quick Launch Bar icon
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 15:41:48 »
Windows 10 do not by default have a the quick lunch bar on the taskbar anymore.

But a link for MC should be created in %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
And if you have it enabled. It should show up.

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 16:01:52 »
True. But if a Quick Launch bar is already enabled then it may be reasonable to expect the icon to appear.

As I wrote, it is not a real issue and I can, (and have), resolve it simply by pinning the shortcut to the Quick launch area.  The content is stored in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch

A number of icons are placed there by other programs, or in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch/User Pinned/Taskbar.

To be fair, it may be that some, but not all, of this functionality may be an artefact of the Win 7 installation prior to the Win 10 upgrade.

No a problem, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Now using Win 10.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 16:18:22 »
A shortcut is created in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch if that option is checked.
It only shows up in the taskbar if it is enabled. but the shortcut is created.

An installer should never place a shortcut in AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch/User Pinned/Taskbar
It is against Windows Guidelines to force out a pinned shortcut on the taskbar. I know some programs do this. But that is bad and MS might block programs doing it.

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 16:08:14 »
Yes, as you point out, it was really not to be expected.  I believe, as I noted before that the existence of the Quick Launch bar is simply an artefact of the upgrade process. Had it been a clean install of Win 10 the issue may not have arisen, of course.

Thank you for your patience and courteous responses to my queries -much appreciated.
Now using Win 10.