Author Topic: Using the MC Picture Viewer and thumbnails  (Read 12480 times)

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
Using the MC Picture Viewer and thumbnails
« on: December 23, 2015, 17:45:13 »
Having checked as far as I can I still cannot see how you can get thumbnail views showing the actual jpg picture.

Checking the graphic on the Main Application Layout page, for example, the right hand pane shows exactly what I am trying to achieve.

There is a range of similar graphics in the Screen Shot Gallery, (http://multicommander.com/screenshots), admittedly showing an older build of MC.  Has something changed in the current release?

I suspect that I am missing, or misunderstanding something that is very obvious - in that case, my apologies!
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Using the MC Picture Viewer and thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 21:31:55 »
Click on the ViewMode icon in the Explorer Panel.. (Last icon on the row that show Used/ Max Free space on drive)
There are two thumbnail view mode..  Thumbnail List , or Detail

(It is also in the menu under View > Explorer Panel > View Mode > )

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 13:07:04 »
Investigating further, I wonder if there is a bug somewhere.

But, first, in my original post I had omitted to confirm that I was using the Thumbnail list option; this was the obvious option  anyway.

On my Vista box:

- using Windows Explorer, I can view the expected jpg thumbnails.

- using MC, the only thumbnails are blank, or rather black, boxes.

On one of my Win 10 boxes, after copying some jpg files across, (normally all of my pictures are stored on the Vista box):

- using Windows Explorer, I can view the expected jpg thumbnails.

- using MC, I can view the expected jpg thumbnails.

Perhaps it is an issue that is related to the (admittedly obsolescent) operating system.

Now using Win 10.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 14:04:19 »
I don't know why they are black.
By default MC is using Windows to get the thumbnail. (Unless on XP) So MC is not getting them it self.
You can change this settings in core Settings under FileSystem Tab. At the button is some settings for the THumbnail system

Try to force it to use Internal Thumbnail system instead of Auto or Windows on WinVista

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 16:34:43 »
Excellent!

Using either the Internal, or the Windows, alternatives, the thumbnails appear.

Initially, there appeared to be a lack of consistency in behaviour as some heavily populated folders displayed all images after a few seconds, whilst other, less populated, files simply displayed the default icon.

I then tried changing the Number of threads setting from Auto to 10.  This seems to help.

Unless there are any unexpected issues I am using the Windows option, which, despite implying Win 7+, seems fine, so far.   I have not had time to exhaustively test for consistency and repeatability but at the moment everything does seem to be well-behaved.

Some folders partially populate with images, but by reverting to a List view and then back to a Thumbnail view the missing images get created. 

Thanks for your courteous response to yet another query.

The more I explore this software, the more impressive it becomes!
Now using Win 10.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 17:28:12 »
There are only 2 mod.. Internal  or Windows.. With Auto Internal is used on XP else Windows. (XP do not support the windows way)

number of thread on auto it is same as number of cores. changing this to value to, too high and it might suck up all available CPU and make everything slow until it is done.

I think some of the thumbnail API was added in Windows Vista.. but some not.. depending on what parameters used. Maybe Windows will ignore those parameters on vista.
And almost nobody run Vista anyway

Thumbnails are processed in the background and if there are A LOT of files it might takes some time before they are shown.
I think you can see the processing of them in the log if that is active.

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 20:16:47 »
Thanks again.

I will experiment with the different options at another time.

I take your point about Vista; I anticipate upgrading that box in the not too distant future.

I've now ported most of my picture files to a Win 10 box, so if, in the unlikely event that there are any issues, I'll let you know.

Now using Win 10.