Author Topic: Using Quick Keys.  (Read 10332 times)

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
Using Quick Keys.
« on: January 12, 2016, 17:56:59 »
I'm using the Explorer style of MC.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, or have forgotten some elementary rule, (if so, I apologise in advance), but I am trying, for example, to use a short-cut to make a quick copy.

In this case, the option on the File menu shows

Copy (Quick)

which I understand to mean that the letter "Q" can be used as the quick key.  However, this does not seem to work.

I have tried it in combination with other keys, (Ctrl, Alt, Shift) with no effect.

Can it be done?
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Using Quick Keys.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 22:23:41 »
No the underscore is not a shortcut.  The Underscore is a menu shortcut when navigating the menus using keys. pressing Left ALT Key and focus is set to Menu bar.. then you navigate the manu bar with arrow keys or press the underscore key to jump to that menu command.

ShortCuts keys are shown after the command. To the right  Like F5, Shift+F5 and so on.
If a command does not have a shortcut set, It can often (not always) be configured in Menu > Configuration >Keyboard customization

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 13:44:01 »
It does seem counter-intuitive.

Using Windows Explorer the underline is not used at all; some menu choices offer a short cut, (quick key), and others do not.  There is no risk of confusion. For example, to make a copy of something, open the Edit menu, highlight the item and you can then use either the direct menu option, Copy or the short cut Ctrl+C

Where the underline is used, in Firefox for example, if you open the File menu you could press V to invoke the print preview page with no further intervention. You could also, after marking some content on a page, open the Edit menu and press C, rather than the short-cut Ctrl+C, and the marked section is copied to the clipboard with no further intervention.

I fully understand that Alt+F would open the File menu, Alt+C would open the configuration menu and so on, but my confusion is based upon the use of the underlined key within a given menu.

For example, once the File Menu is open there are a number of options with a key letter underlined:
New, Tab, View File, ... Copy, Copy(Quick) and so on.

What is the purpose of using the underline convention within a menu if, in fact, no action is invoked.  That is really the source of my confusion.
Now using Win 10.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 13:59:09 »
It does seem counter-intuitive.
It is standard windows behavior.
open notepad and see. They have them too,

Using Windows Explorer the underline is not used at all; some menu choices offer a short cut, (quick key), and others do not.  There is no risk of confusion. For example, to make a copy of something, open the Edit menu, highlight the item and you can then use either the direct menu option, Copy or the short cut Ctrl+C
They are. but depending on what platform you are own. you need to press and release alt first to make them visible.
They are not shortcut they are actually called access keys.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb226831(v=vs.85).aspx
They are not a replacement for shortcuts.  Shortcuts are completely differently and global. Access keys are to make navigation by keys in menu easier and you can have duplicates as long as they are in different menus.

Where the underline is used, in Firefox for example, if you open the File menu you could press V to invoke the print preview page with no further intervention. You could also, after marking some content on a page, open the Edit menu and press C, rather than the short-cut Ctrl+C, and the marked section is copied to the clipboard with no further intervention.
Sometimes you can have the same access key as shortcut .. sometimes you don't.

I fully understand that Alt+F would open the File menu, Alt+C would open the configuration menu and so on, but my confusion is based upon the use of the underlined key within a given menu.
For example, once the File Menu is open there are a number of options with a key letter underlined:
New, Tab, View File, ... Copy, Copy(Quick) and so on.

What is the purpose of using the underline convention within a menu if, in fact, no action is invoked.  That is really the source of my confusion.
No Alt+F do not open file menu.. Alt and then F. (It is actually a difference.. because you 'can' press alt and release the alt key and then press F)
That is all standard windows behavior

The underline key will run that command if you are quick navigating to it from the keyboard.. like if you do Alt then F then F    the find files command is run.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 14:09:14 by Mathias (Author) »

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 16:08:19 »
Thank you for your very fast response!

Apologies for using the incorrect terminology for Access keys; thank you for the correction. 

Referring to the menubars. I tend to configure them to be visible; I should have clarified that point.

You wrote ... "No Alt+F do not open file menu.. Alt and then F. (It is actually a difference.. because you 'can' press alt and release the alt key and then press F) That is all standard windows behavior"

Actually, you can use either strategy.  Alt+F opens the file menu, but so does Alt then F

However, your final comment is the most useful and resolves the original query for me.

You wrote "The underline key will run that command if you are quick navigating to it from the keyboard.. like if you do Alt then F then F    the find files command is run."

Either of the following actions invokes the Quick Copy feature:

Alt then F then Q
or
Alt+F+Q

Thank you for your courtesy and patience in responding in detail.
Now using Win 10.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 18:49:07 »
Apologies for using the incorrect terminology for Access keys; thank you for the correction. 
No worries. most people don't know that there is a name for them. And many think they are same as shortcut.
Probably why MS added and option in the UI to disable them.
They are not intended to be used as shortcuts (but can be used as such). They are meant to be used for key navigations of menu (if you have no mouse, or if you are lazy to move you arm to grab it) and for people with disabilities that have issues with using mouse.

You wrote ... "No Alt+F do not open file menu.. Alt and then F. (It is actually a difference.. because you 'can' press alt and release the alt key and then press F) That is all standard windows behavior"

Actually, you can use either strategy.  Alt+F opens the file menu, but so does Alt then F
Yes.. But technically there is a different.. Alt+F can be overwritten with shortcuts. And if there is no shortcut for alt+F then the keys are processed by menubar.
But Alt and then F will always work.
So they are the same but at the same time not. And with shortcuts you can not have duplicates keys combo. but access keys only need to be unique per submenu.

Either of the following actions invokes the Quick Copy feature:
Alt then F then Q
or
Alt+F+Q
ALT+F, then Q, Do not press 3 keys at once. Then you better make sure you time it correct so F is faster then Q. :)
OR you go to configuration > keyboard customization and add a real shortcut for that command. Like Alt-Q or whatever you want.

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 20:30:55 »
Thanks for yet another informative response.

One point to clarify.  When I wrote Alt+F+Q I meant hold Alt down, then press F and while still holding Alt down, press Q.
Now using Win 10.

Alanrf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 14:37:46 »
In case any other Forum readers read this thread or find it in the future may I add a a quick note to update the information in the link you posted earlier with reference to access keys:   https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb226831(v=vs.85).aspx

The information on that page is somewhat out-of-date, probably because it still refers to Windows XP and later.

On Vista, (OK, I know, obsolescent!), the same effect can be obtained via
Control Panel / Ease of Access Centre and then look for Make the Keyboard easier to use

Almost at the bottom of that window under the heading Make it easier to use keyboard shortcuts is the option Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys which may be checked or unchecked as required.

On Win 10, the route is slightly different.  Settings / Ease of Access / Keyboard.  Under Other Settings there is a switch to enable or disable shortcut underlines.

However, I think the simple alternative - when wishing to see any underlines, pressing the Alt key has a lot to recommend it - simplicity!!
Now using Win 10.