Author Topic: Where to change font / font size in the button panel?  (Read 11762 times)

jiangzhenjerry

• View Profile
Where to change font / font size in the button panel?
« on: January 16, 2016, 21:33:59 »
Hello folks,

I was a TC user and I am trying on MC for the past few days. What puzzles me a little bit is that I cannot find the right place to change the font and font size in the button panel. I did some search on this forum and it seems to me  there should be somewhere that I can tweak it. For example:

http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php?topic=903.0
"Buttonpanel now possible to tweak the font and fontsize."

http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,1006.msg3293.html#msg3293
"Button panel already support font change (if you edit buttonpanel.xml manually)."

Well, apparently multibuttons.xml replaces buttonpanel.xml in later versions. But anyway, even when I open multibuttons.xml I do not see any attribute related to font. So, any help here :D ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Where to change font / font size in the button panel?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 22:11:12 »
Add it to the main tag "buttonpanel"

example
Code: [Select]
<buttonpanel id="1" rows="4" cols="8" fontsize="20" fontname="Comic Sans MS" iconsize="medium">

jiangzhenjerry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 23:14:13 »
Add it to the main tag "buttonpanel"

example
<buttonpanel id="1" rows="4" cols="8" fontsize="20" fontname="Comic Sans MS" iconsize="medium">

Oh wow I'm very impressed by your prompt reply... Thank you so much! Very nice work :)

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 15:53:05 »
Interesting.  It's good to be able to modify the appearance of individual buttons via the Button Editor but it would also be good if the font used on an individual button could also be changed via the Button Editor.

The suggestion that you can change the button fonts globally, by modifying the multibuttons.xml file interests me, but the example

illustrating a possible change does not seem to work, or, at least, not for me.
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 19:12:16 »

illustrating a possible change does not seem to work, or, at least, not for me.

Maybe you are changing the wrong file. It must the the file located in users config folder ( type ":goconfig" on command line field) not the file under program files.

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 13:44:03 »
Thank you for the clarification.  I was, indeed, using the program files rather than the user files.

Perhaps somewhere there is a note regarding the difference between the two, but I have not found any reference as yet.  However, the documentation is so extensive and so detailed, (for which you have my admiration!), I have yet to finish studying it in its entirety.
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 13:51:23 »
Well it is standard these day.
Storing settings or other user data in program files ended with XP. You need admin permission to write in program files.
But maybe a section on where everything is stored because it difference if you are running portable or installed