Author Topic: Possible bug when modifying Buttons on button Bar  (Read 6874 times)

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
Possible bug when modifying Buttons on button Bar
« on: January 19, 2016, 17:14:34 »
Further to my earlier report of an issue with "blank" buttons, I have found a way to reproduce the issue consistently.

- Open MC as normal with four rows visible on the Button Bar.

- Reconfigure to show only one row.

- Use the Button Editor to change the background of one or more buttons.

- Reconfigure with 4 rows.

Result, the bottom three rows are blank.

However, if you open MC with four rows of buttons and change the background of one or more buttons in the top row and then reconfigure to show just the one row there is no problem.

Not sure whether this is a "bug" or a "feature" but it may help to understand how "blank" buttons can be generated.
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Possible bug when modifying Buttons on button Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 22:02:48 »
Not sure I would say it is a bug, it is a consequence of the configuration

If you configure it to only have 1 rows. And changes are done so the button config is resaved. it will only save info for 1 row since that is what you configured it as.
It only save what is shown.

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bug when modifying Buttons on button Bar
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 13:53:24 »
Yes, I think that makes sense.

Basically then, consider that I wanted to modify buttons in the top row and then eventually show the top row only as my default configuration.

To preserve all subsequent rows for the possibility that I may want to reinstate them at some time, the best strategy would be to first display all rows, then modify the top row as required, close the Button Editor, and then use the Core Settings panel to change the display.

This would change the configuration and preserve the setting for all four rows. Any subsequent change of the button display to show just the one row would retain details of all buttons behind the scenes.

So, I agree with you - not a bug, perhaps more a case of the end user being aware of the consequences.

At least I have found out how the blank rows were caused, and, as a result of your earlier post, been made aware of how easy it is to create, and recreate the default display.

Many thanks for your patience.
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.