Author Topic: Support for High DPI Screens  (Read 8624 times)

jiangzhenjerry

• View Profile
Support for High DPI Screens
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:41:49 »
Dear Mathias and other folks,

My second post here :)

My laptop has a 15'' 4K screen (3840x2160). Multi Commander is one of very few applications that work well on HiDPI screens (applause!). But I did find a place where something can be improved. That is, if I enable drive buttons in the explorer panel, the buttons would be partially cut off. Please refer to the attachment for details.

I would also like to see support for 64px icons on the toolbar. Right now the largest size I can choose is "XLarge (48x48)", which is OK but a little small on my screen. Of course this is a very minor issue (most likely even not an issue).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Support for High DPI Screens
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 19:17:50 »
I know. most places support High DPI well. some do not. like the device button inside explorer panel. However it is harder to fix then usally. So it been pushed down on my fix list.

64px icons would be nice. The problem is that most icons are takes from a free archive. and none of the icons there are large then 48.
To add 64px icons I need someone to create new icons for me, And since MC is free there is a very limited budget, and Buying professional made icons cost to much

jiangzhenjerry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 23:24:20 »
I know. most places support High DPI well. some do not. like the device button inside explorer panel. However it is harder to fix then usally. So it been pushed down on my fix list.

64px icons would be nice. The problem is that most icons are takes from a free archive. and none of the icons there are large then 48.
To add 64px icons I need someone to create new icons for me, And since MC is free there is a very limited budget, and Buying professional made icons cost to much

Mathias,

Thanks for your reply! Yes I guessed the device button is a tough issue -- definitely no urgent need to fix it. I'm glad you are at least aware of it.

I'm not asking you about creating new icons. I understand that it will cost a lot of budget. I'm just suggesting about adding an option to zoom them to 64px (or any other size that users want). Yes the icons might get a little blurry after being enlarged, but on a HiDPI display it won't look too bad. And by the way, since the icons are all stored in MCIcons.dll, users can easily replace the icons by themselves.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 13:42:43 »
Zooming them are ugly. But maybe better then nothing. I do not have a 4k monitor so I have not been able to test and seen the need yet. :)
What zoom factor are you running 250% ? 300% ?

jiangzhenjerry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 22:12:08 »
Zooming them are ugly. But maybe better then nothing. I do not have a 4k monitor so I have not been able to test and seen the need yet. :)
What zoom factor are you running 250% ? 300% ?

250%. Zooming them on my screen will not be too ugly :)