Author Topic: AVG blocks installation: IDP Adware  (Read 9013 times)

Matf

• View Profile
AVG blocks installation: IDP Adware
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:29:25 »
Hi,

I downloaded the 64bit installer. I scanned it with AVG antivirus and got a "no virus found".

When I ran the installer, AVG resident protection stopped the installation process and quarantined the installer. Here's what I got: see attachement.

What should I make of this?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: AVG blocks installation: IDP Adware
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:59:01 »
It is a false positive.

As long as you download it from the official site it should be safe.
I don't know about AVG and why it stopped it. But this happens a lot for all developers of software.
A lot of software that should not have been stopped are stopped because of false positives. And it gets worse for every year.
Mostly free or small AV companies is causing false positive. probably because they do not have enough resource the make quality software and it gets hard and hard to just target bad software or just because they are lazy.

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 17:40:05 »
Had the same problem.  New computer, installed AVG then tried MC.  Immediately blocked, so at least AVG does something!

Disabled AVG, downloaded MC and everything seems OK.  Hope so, because atm I'm running on 4 boxes; without MC life would be rather tedious if all I could use is the rather, (very!), limited Windows Explorer.
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 22:33:42 »
Had the same problem.  New computer, installed AVG then tried MC.  Immediately blocked, so at least AVG does something!

Disabled AVG, downloaded MC and everything seems OK.  Hope so, because atm I'm running on 4 boxes; without MC life would be rather tedious if all I could use is the rather, (very!), limited Windows Explorer.
As long as you download the program from official website you should be safe.

All small developers get stuck with false positive all the time. And it gets worse by time. It is extremely annoying and there is nothing I can do about it.

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 13:56:10 »
Thanks Mathias.  I realised that of course.  I can understand your frustration. 

If I had not already downloaded, (from the official site!), and used this excellent program on other computers I may have been more concerned and may even have moved to alternative programs.  Hopefully, you don't lose too many first time users due this "false positive" issue.

As I use MC on a regular daily basis I have to say that it is one of the best, and easiest, file manager that I have ever used!
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.