Author Topic: Moving HTML files.  (Read 12977 times)

abrogard

• View Profile
Moving HTML files.
« on: April 13, 2016, 13:33:42 »
I've just got the prog and am just learning it.  I was going well the last couple of hours sorting a very choked directory into a number of categories when I suddenly thought about html.

They come into two parts.

I've been moving (select and f6) the html. 

I took a look.  It hasn't moved the _files folder that comes with each html page.

Guess throwing everything back in one dir again and starting over is what I'll have to do.

Took a look around and couldn't see where I make it take the two together. Can someone direct me to it, please?

And if there are any more kinda obvious traps for young players......

:)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Moving HTML files.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 14:28:27 »
You moved files but it did not delete the source folder but moved the files ?

Maybe you do not have permission ?

Was it over network. ?  Windows server ? or Samba ? (samba have a couple of strange issues with windows)

abrogard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 14:43:16 »
 I didn't say it clearly enough.

I have a file 'DNA Ancestry Tests are Meaningless.htm'  folder called 'DNA Ancestry Tests are Meaningless_files'

Every htm file is like that. It has an associated folder which carries the  images and whatever.

When I copy or move or delete that htm file in Windows it also copies or moves or deletes the folder.

It seems that Multicommander moved the htm file and left the folder.

There's probably a switch somewhere to make it take the both, just like there's a switch in Windows to have them treated as one - which is set and which works when using Windows Explorer - but I don't know where it is.

See?  it is not a question of trying to move a folder and the files inside it as I think you are thinking.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 14:54:32 »
See?  it is not a question of trying to move a folder and the files inside it as I think you are thinking.
?? You say move files but the question is not about moving file ? I don't understand.
No there is no switch to not delete file when moving them..  If you dont want to delete them than copy them. dont move them.

Sounds like the folder and folder are next to each other. ? but that can be right or ?
But I suspect you mean that the file is inside the folder and that you copy/move the folder ? and the file is moved but the folder is not removed ?

You can check the FileOperation log (Ctrl+L) and see if there are any errors.

But if the if you select to move the folder it will move the folder and the file inside it.
If the folder is not delete and left empty, it can be because of two things. permission you do not have permission to delete the folder.
or because some other program has a lock on that folder.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 15:00:36 by Mathias (Author) »

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 15:20:39 »
Mathias

Imagine:
Code: [Select]
[NAME_files]
NAME.html

If i understand correctly, abrogard wants MC to automatically copy/move [NAME_files] folder when he copies/moves NAME.html

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 15:26:48 »
Yes I thought so too first.. but Windows does not do that ? or ?

He say "When I copy or move or delete that htm file in Windows it also copies or moves or deletes the folder."

That way I'm confused.

abrogard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 23:45:08 »
jungle has it right.

how have I caused confusion? with the mention of windows? sorry.  I mean windows explorer - you're using windows?  you've got that? - in XP at least will move an .htm file and the associated folder - which exists in the same directory as the file ! - at the same time as you drag/move the .htm file.

In does that because in Folder Options one can check in 'managing pairs of web pages and folders' the radio button for 'show and manage the pair as a single file'.

If you drag the file from one directory to another one the same disk Windows Explorer will move the file, it will disappear from its original location, together with its associated folder.

If you drag the file from one directory another one on another disk Windows Explorer will copy the file and associated folder so that they  now exist on both disks.

That's the kind of behaviour I want and expected.

When I have difficulty deciding which category to sort a file into I well may forget where I put it when, much, much later, I come to the now orphaned folders still waiting in the directory.  And I might copy the folder to the wrong place.  Or have to waste a lot of time searching for where i put the file.

For hundreds of files this is a problem.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong in my posts here that is making such an issue of this.  It is very simple.  I usually talk too much, that's probably what I'm doing here.  Let me go back to the beginning and restate the problem:

When I move an .htm file in MC the associated folder does not move with it. How can I change that?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 07:11:22 »
The confusion is that I never seen Windows do that. I never seen that settings, and I never even heard of it.  Win7 / Win10 do not have it,
Is that really a standard settings in XP ? Did some google and some said it come from TweakXP pack, but some say office adds it.  I do not have any XP machines any more.

Part of the confusion is also the "associated folder", There is no real link between the file and folder, It is all a conceptional thing that is handed by the Windows Shell (Explorer),  it is not something that the file system do automatically.

But it does not matter.

Sorry, MC do not support that. 
You might be able to create something like it using script. and create a special action for it. But it will not be during normal copy.
(Unless you create a FileOperation plugin for MC)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:25:14 by Mathias (Author) »

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:40:11 »
abrogard
You still can have [almost] the same behaviour with MC (tested on Win7), but you'll have to use Ctrl+C/Ctr+X/Ctrl+V instead of F5/F6

Mathias
Actually, this is possible in Win7. See here

BTW, an option may be added to custom commands Copy/Move/Delete like USESHELL which would perform file operation via Explorer. It could make writing user script an easier task.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:07:42 by Jungle »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 11:55:35 »
abrogard
You still can have [almost] the same behaviour with MC (tested on Win7), but you'll have to use Ctrl+C/Ctr+X/Ctrl+V instead of F5/F6

Mathias
Actually, this is possible in Win7. See here

BTW, an option may be added to custom commands Copy/Move/Delete like USESHELL which would perform file operation via Explorer. It could make writing user script an easier task.

Ahh yes Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V hand it over to Windows and then it does it.. Did not think about that..

Yes Read that.But looks like a nasty reg hack can enable it in windows 7. but it looks like you have do to do it after very reboot.
Anyway.. Weird feature.. The problem is that there is no real link between files. The program have to assume/guess that the files belong together and I think that can be dangerous. and lead to issues..  Maybe..

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 12:51:35 »
The program have to assume/guess that the files belong together and I think that can be dangerous. and lead to issues..  Maybe..
Just to clarify. I meant if USESHELL applied then MC should perform copy via Windows shell API.