Author Topic: MC not playing nice with mobile phone  (Read 10911 times)

Oliwally

• Contributor
    • View Profile
MC not playing nice with mobile phone
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:13:01 »
I connected (cable) my mobile phone (Galaxy S4) to put some files onto the SD card. Although MC recognized the phone and allowed me to open up and view the SD card in it, I was unable to copy and paste files from my computer to the phone. There were no right click options to 'paste' and neither did Ctrl V work.
I tried the same using other file management program and had no problems.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Oli

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: MC not playing nice with mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:34:57 »

That because Paste and SHELL context menu is using Windows to copy and not MC.
And phone are not a normal filesystem, And since MC is not built on top off the MC is not built on top of Windows Explorer Shell (like many other FMs are ),
It is accessed via the virtual filesystem WPD (Windows Portable Device) and Windows don't know about WPD: is.

You need to start the copy that is using MC to copy.
eg. "Copy" File menu , Or Toolbar, Or Copy button on button panel, Or F2/F5 hotkey (depending on setup) or drag and drop

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:41:41 »
I have a similar problem.

I am trying to copy photos from a Kodak camera using WPD.  I select all files, MC opens the copy dialog correctly suggesting the target panel as destination.

I click OK, the progress bar briefly appears then... nothing: no copy.  Likewise with drag & drop.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 12:55:20 »
That not much info to go on, It can be anything.  No errors in the file log ? ( Ctrl+L )

Problem is that a lot of devices that are using MTP (Protocoll that Windows Portable Device is talking to the device with) is not implementing it fully.
Specially cameras,  Phones support it better. so some devices do not support all APIs of MTP.

But often there is information in the logfile. (Make sure the logging for WPD is on  Menu > Config > FileSystem Plugsin > FS-Portable )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:58:08 by Mathias (Author) »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 13:59:06 »
Well - a mystery indeed.

There was no option to enable logging under: Config > FileSystem Plugins > FS-Portable, so I enabled logging at the "core" level.

And the copy (and, indeed a delete)  from the camera succeeded!

Go figure  :-\

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 14:12:17 »
No option for logging ?? Then something is wrong with your installation.

Almost all of them are about logging.

But good that it worked now.. Might be that it dropped connection to the device before or something

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 15:42:07 »
Firstly, thanks for the replies (I forgot to add that to my last post - apologies - old age, I guess).

Secondly, I found the logging section for FS-Portable; I was looking in the wrong Menu tree (also old age).

Thirdly, I solved the "problem" -  the camera times out  ("hibernates") after a couple of minutes inactivity and so can't be read at all (poor memory due to old age).

Oliwally

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 03:07:37 »
That because Paste and SHELL context menu is using Windows to copy and not MC.
And phone are not a normal filesystem, And since MC is not built on top off the MC is not built on top of Windows Explorer Shell (like many other FMs are ),
It is accessed via the virtual filesystem WPD (Windows Portable Device) and Windows don't know about WPD: is.

You need to start the copy that is using MC to copy.
eg. "Copy" File menu , Or Toolbar, Or Copy button on button panel, Or F2/F5 hotkey (depending on setup) or drag and drop

Very cool - that worked. Thanks so much, I'm loving it!

Just a couple of questions to you Mathias (for my self-education) which are not really related to this post. I'd understand if you don't want to answer:

What is the advantage of having this FM separate to the Windows Explorer Shell?

A little personal: How do you find time to run a project like this for free (for which I am extremely thankful)? Is it a hobby? Is it part of another project that you do at work? I just imagine that developing and maintaining a program like this would be a massive task.

Thanks again,

Oli

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:13 »
What is the advantage of having this FM separate to the Windows Explorer Shell?
Why MC is not totally replacing Windows Explorer ?
Couple of reason. some of them are that there is no official way to do that. There are only bad hack way.
And I don't want to do any changes to a users computer, No crazy deep system hooks into the core of Windows.  Just delete the MC exe file and only MC is gone, Nothing with the rest of the system is affected. Less things that can break and cause issues on users computers.
And MC is not built on top of the Windows Explorer Shell, And Windows kind of require the shell in some situation, So that can cause some strange issue.
There is some reg hack how to make MC replace WinExplorer, So MC is opened instead. There is a post in the forum here some where.

A little personal: How do you find time to run a project like this for free (for which I am extremely thankful)? Is it a hobby? Is it part of another project that you do at work? I just imagine that developing and maintaining a program like this would be a massive task.
No It is my private project I work on at home when I find the time. Finding the time is the hardest bit.
Yes, It have turned into quite a massive task. And there are so many parts in MC that depend on each other. So doing changes are sometimes not easy.

Oliwally

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:25:00 »
Great - that sheds a bit of light re. the integration (or rather non-integration) of MC into Windows.

No It is my private project I work on at home when I find the time. Finding the time is the hardest bit.
Yes, It have turned into quite a massive task. And there are so many parts in MC that depend on each other. So doing changes are sometimes not easy.

Well, thanks very much for letting others benefit from your hard work - for free. Very generous. I hope that the project lives on when, one day, your circumstances change and you just don't have time or enthusiasm anymore.

Thanks for the insight Mathias.

Regards, Oli