Author Topic: Copying/Moving NTFS permissions  (Read 6654 times)

recury

• View Profile
Copying/Moving NTFS permissions
« on: June 29, 2016, 19:32:27 »
It would be great if there was more control over how permissions are handled when copying/moving files.

Here is a specific example:

Say I have two folders, with the "Apply To" value for the permissions set to "This folder, subfolders and files" (i.e. all subfolders and files inherit permissions from the parent folder)

C:\Data\MyFolder -- permissions set so only one user can write files here
C:\Data\GroupFolder -- permissions set so multiple users can write files here

When copying a file from "MyFolder" to "GroupFolder", the permissions on the new file are correctly inherited from the GroupFolder permissions.

However, when moving a file from "MyFolder" to "GroupFolder", the permissions on the file are still set to the MyFolder permissions.

Is there any way to make it so that moving a file from "MyFolder" to "GroupFolder" would result in the file's permissions being inherited from "GroupFolder"?  This is how it works when using Windows Explorer.

Thanks!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Copying/Moving NTFS permissions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 16:05:01 »
When you MOVE a file on the same partition, that file is really just renamed.
The file data is not copied so permission stay the same.
If you want file permission inherited from parent.. Then do copy and delete instead of moving.
Or you can clear the permission of the moved file after. There is a "Remove all file permission" option in tools menu under File Security. However it require admin permissions.

Option for copying file permission is on my todo list, But not many user have a need for it so other issues have passing it on the list.