Author Topic: Multi Commander 6.4.x Issues  (Read 29895 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Multi Commander 6.4.x Issues
« on: August 04, 2016, 13:44:42 »
Just grabbed 6.4.3 b2232 (w7 x64)
I find that if I delete a folder the hi-lite bar jumps to the top of the window ".."rather than the old behaviour of going to the next item shown.  Bit annoying to be scrolling around when you have more than 50 folders :P

I noticed the d/l was very slow - serverside issue?  Or just overloaded?  Took 3 tries over about 40 minutes to eventually get the file.  Took more than 10mins to actually transfer.  Unusual!  .....Sorry, but I was desperate to see the latest build!!   ;)

Thanks Mathias.

I've found something else that is possibly related.
On selecting a file & opening rename the focus hi-lite can also jump to ".." sometimes.
This causes the rename dialog to open without any files being present in it.   ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 14:53:45 by Ulfhednar »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Commander 6.4.x Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 15:24:25 »
Hi Ulf.

I just spotted that myself.  Annoying, isn't it?

And yes, the whole of multicommander.com is very slow...

Alan

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 15:48:01 »
Just grabbed 6.4.3 b2232 (w7 x64)
I find that if I delete a folder the hi-lite bar jumps to the top of the window ".."rather than the old behaviour of going to the next item shown.  Bit annoying to be scrolling around when you have more than 50 folders :P

Crap. Ok  I found an issue where CreateFolder caused issues with refresh and focus, that why the release today..(6.4.3)
Look like that fixed messed up delete then.

I think I know why it is happening. I will try to fix it ASAP. (So new release again..  AHH my server is burning up)
The problem is that FileSystem Scanning is happening in the background, it it will trigger rescan when the filesystem is changed.
Like when the program do
  DeleteFile
  SetFocusToFileX

Right after the call to DeleteFile the filesystem is changed and MC will notice and a rescan can be trigged.
And a view that is rescanning will try to keep it current item as focus.
So when SetFocusToFileX is called the scan have already start and when it tries to return focus (that was the delete file) it failed and it ends up being the first item.

I noticed the d/l was very slow - serverside issue?  Or just overloaded?  Took 3 tries over about 40 minutes to eventually get the file.  Took more than 10mins to actually transfer.  Unusual!  .....Sorry, but I was desperate to see the latest build!!   ;)
Yes.. I release 6.4.2 yesterday ,and then 6.4.3 today.  So my Internet connection on my server is a bit overloaded. :)  ( 76GB bandwidth today )
 ( If anybody how how to tweak apache lets me know.. I done some tweaking but did not think it helped )
And then maybe release 6.4.4 later today maybe hmm But maybe only release it to beta first.. since it is only an annoying issue with wrong focus it is not super important to push out to all today

I've found something else that is possibly related.
On selecting a file & opening rename the focus hi-lite can also jump to ".." sometimes.
This causes the rename dialog to open without any files being present in it.   ???
Not sure if it is the related.
How to you shift-F6 or context menu, slow click. ?
Is the filesystem changed during the rename ?

Wait rename dialog ? not inline rename ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 16:28:13 »
There been to many of this minor issues with 6.4.x
It been like a  "whack a mole" game.    I fix one issue and two more popus
Everything is more parallel now, And that is great and a lot better in many way. But some of the exiting functions freaked out because they relied on that only 1 thing at the time happened.
I'm just annoyed that I did not found them during beat testing.. To few people are testing the beta version I think. OR people to do report when they see issues.

(And releasing new final version in the morning is a BAD idea.. better to do it late at night so the load of updates are spread out more.. I learned that.. )

But a 6.4.4 BETA is coming soon,  I think i fixed the delete, move focus to next issue.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 16:53:19 »
Because of the server load I'm not publising the beta on the "normal" way yet

But if you want to try out
Download the update file here
http://multicommander.com/files/updates/beta/MultiCommander_x64_Update_(6.4.4.2233).zip
http://multicommander.com/files/updates/beta/MultiCommander_win32_Update_(6.4.4.2233).zip

Start MultiUpdate.. and click on settings and select "Update from a MultiUpdate file" and in file picker area pick out the file you downloaded.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 17:52:19 »
Hi Mathias.

I can confirm that the "delete & focus" issue is fixed in 2233.  And nothing else seems to be broken (so far).

To few people are testing the beta version I think.
FWIW, I tested the betas as thoroughly as I could.  Not well enough it seems.  So I have set up a dedicated test area on my PC here & I am putting together a test regime including regression testing (based on earlier releases).  Perhaps I will be of more help in the future.

I am happy to become an "official" beta-tester and to devote more time to testing, if that willl help.

Alan
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 18:09:39 by AlanJB »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 18:09:58 »
To few people are testing the beta version I think.
FWIW, I tested the betas as thoroughly as I could.  Not well enough it seems. 

No Worries..   The problem is that there are so many feature and so many way to do thinks and different people is using the program in different ways.
Thats why I want peoples testing the beta that uses it in different ways. and that they also reports issues.. There are normally around 4-500 users who upgrade to the beta.
But if I'm lucky I only get notified about issues from 5-6 of them. I know people are busy and have things to do. And don't have the time, I understand that.

The problem is that most of the issues lately is often timing related. works on some setup and not on some. and not always
The faster computer the higher risk you see the issue.

The "whack a mole" buggs started with fixing a Create Folder from the context menu. (Who does that ?. well some users do, I totally forgot about that,I never do that. ) Then makedir from FolderTree caused issues,  and then the problem moved around..
Specially if you had many tab open with same folder and/or parent folder of the folder that changed opened.
But most of the issues have been related and it have to do with that file scanning is triggered because changes on the filesystem.
So if the code is doing some after it does something that changes the filesystem. It did not always worked.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 18:13:50 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 18:10:31 »
OK thanks for the details & explanation Mathias.  8)

I was referring to the rename dialog - eg via f3 (which I have assigned to a button)
Inline rename stays in focus.

Grabbing the 2233beta now - 4-7kb - dialup dayz are back :)
Maybe time to mirror to something like 1drive or ggl drive?  Not sure on security/usage implications tho.

PS I can see how the changes on the filesystem + scanning can cause a domino effect.  Good times! :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 18:12:22 by Ulfhednar »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 18:18:46 »
I was referring to the rename dialog - eg via f3 (which I have assigned to a button)

Sorry.  I don't know what rename dialog you mean.
F3 ?  F3 is View file in CommanderStyle setup and Search in Windows Explorer Styled setup..

Menu > Extention > MultiRename  ?
Menu > Tools > Rename > Replace in text ?

Grabbing the 2233beta now - 4-7kb - dialup dayz are back :)
Note to self.. Do not release at the morning when everybody is awake.   I normally do it at night and then the update are spread out more, and there is less issues.
Today was extra crazy..   94GB in bandwidth today on my server.. Much of it because users aborted and started over..
Maybe do something so not everybody gets it at once too..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 18:22:32 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 18:24:51 »
OK I'm trying to do too many things at once (f3 is search...)  I meant multi-rename - which is in the same dropdown menu so I confused everyone!  :-[

I am now trying it with 2233b & it is all good so far.  My focus is where it is supposed to be.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 19:05:52 »

My focus is where it is supposed to be.

Wasn't "focus" one of your problems with the previous release, too  ;D  ;D

If you didn't delete so many folders, Mathias would not have to work so hard on his vacation ;D

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 19:07:46 »
Replying to my own post, but...

Response time from multicommander.com seems to be back to normal.  Hosting issue, perhaps?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 23:55:18 »
Replying to my own post, but...

Response time from multicommander.com seems to be back to normal.  Hosting issue, perhaps?

No.. But I added some randomness to version checking result server side, So when MC check for new version. Some peoples will get informed by the new version some not.
But if you start MultiUpdate manually it will always find it.  :)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 14:37:51 »
My focus is where it is supposed to be.

Wasn't "focus" one of your problems with the previous release, too  ;D  ;D

If you didn't delete so many folders, Mathias would not have to work so hard on his vacation ;D

Exactly!   :P

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 14:43:04 »
2233 continues to behave....but
I've seen this twice today - coincidence?  winsock vs updater?

Code: [Select]
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Explorer.EXE
  Application Version: 6.1.7601.19135
  Application Timestamp: 56a1bbe2
  Fault Module Name: mswsock.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23451
  Fault Module Timestamp: 573365e8
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 00000000000013a3
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 19ac
  Additional Information 2: 19ac82dd26a7c5093f1a1740ce191211
  Additional Information 3: ec76
  Additional Information 4: ec76ed24576236f57830e708bf4e8e69

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 15:04:36 »
MC do not hook it self into Explorer or any parts of Windows so I don't think this is the fault of MC.

Have you installed/reinstall some ShellExtension ? that are a common cause to crashes. Because then you got 3d party code hooking it self into Explorer..
and even into MC.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 15:12:58 »
Odd.  According to Dependency Walker, neither MultiUpdate2.exe nor MultiCommander.exe call mswsock.dll... ???

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 15:26:30 »
Without wishing to patronise in any way, it is probably worth running a malware scan and SFC.

mswsock is very often targeted by malware.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 21:36:31 »
Today i tried to move a 200GB Folder to another HDD, but this job failed. MC didn´t finish, the copy/move-dialog, was closed without any reason and it was only 60 GB of this 200GB moved. The rest i move now with BC.

The Copy/Move Dialog-Field is not shown on the MC-Group in the windows Taskbar. I always disable windows Thumbnails with Winaero Tweaker and have a nice List in the taskbar Group of MC, but the The Copy/Move Dialog-Field is just at the end of the taskbar. Its heavy to navigate there when working with a hiddn taskbar like i do. Hiding the taskbar is possible with 7+ Taskbar Tweaker in special-settings enable "disable topmost" and the taskbar will not forces in foreground by itself. Only when i press win+T. To navigate between opened windows i made with the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker  special Keyboard shortcuts. when press alt+rightarrow it move to the window right on taskbar and alt+leftarrow left. The only badness with this nice tweak is that it destroy the alt+tab sequencing. So much off topic, sorry. But its not good that Child-Windows are not in the same group like Multicommander. Maybe i disabled the windows accidently with alt+F4. But The copy/move works now better

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 21:59:16 »
Today i tried to move a 200GB Folder to another HDD, but this job failed. MC didn´t finish, the copy/move-dialog, was closed without any reason and it was only 60 GB of this 200GB moved. The rest i move now with BC.

The Copy/Move Dialog-Field is not shown on the MC-Group in the windows Taskbar. I always disable windows Thumbnails with Winaero Tweaker and have a nice List in the taskbar Group of MC, but the The Copy/Move Dialog-Field is just at the end of the taskbar. Its heavy to navigate there when working with a hiddn taskbar like i do. Hiding the taskbar is possible with 7+ Taskbar Tweaker in special-settings enable "disable topmost" and the taskbar will not forces in foreground by itself. Only when i press win+T. To navigate between opened windows i made with the 7+ Taskbar Tweaker  special Keyboard shortcuts. when press alt+rightarrow it move to the window right on taskbar and alt+leftarrow left. The only badness with this nice tweak is that it destroy the alt+tab sequencing. So much off topic, sorry. But its not good that Child-Windows are not in the same group like Multicommander. Maybe i disabled the windows accidently with alt+F4. But The copy/move works now better
How did it fail ? No error on why it aborted..  Anything in the FileOperation log ? (Ctrl+L) Any error around fileoperation should be listed there.
Something must have aborted it and it should be in the log.

Also how did you you do the copy..  If you do copy / paste  the file copy is handed of to Windows and it does the copy.

I don't understand the issue about the taskbar thing
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 22:02:43 by Mathias (Author) »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 10:41:30 »
i guess the error caused by Bitdefender, because bitdefender was thinking a file in that folder is infected and blocked it in real time.
I copy with the MC-Copy-Method using F5 or F6 or for deleting Del.

The child-windows like the copy move dialog are not in the same taskbar-group like MC, This is what i mean... The other off topic is only to explain why it not good that a child window are on a complete different place at the taskbar.

Bitdefender think also that the multicrashreport.exe is infected.

"multicommander64\multi crashreport. exe.

Virus name: Gen:Trojan.Heur.FU.zuW @aa6slqf."

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 10:50:35 »
Strange.. even if AV block it should just halt the process not abort it.

That AV report for MultiUpdate is another false positive, unless it got infected on your machine.

Maybe update your definition? BitDefender on VirusTotal.com do not report any issue, only "Qihoo-360" (Chinese AV program)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 11:16:41 »
BitDefender on VirusTotal.com do not report any issue, only
It detected the virus wile synchronizing the portable my portable tools folder with external Drive. This is a unprotected folder. Maybe i should run hitman pro.

the abort of the copy job is not reproducable und i am not able now to find something on the eventlog.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 11:24:58 »
No, not windows event log..

MC log all fileoperation error in its own log. Ctrl+L and you see the current one. (unless you turned it off)
It also keeps the 15 latest in the log folder in appdata folder. (auto deleting them when new comes) ( type  ":golog"  on the commandline field in mc to take you there. )

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 15:07:53 »
MC do not hook it self into Explorer or any parts of Windows so I don't think this is the fault of MC.

Have you installed/reinstall some ShellExtension ? that are a common cause to crashes. Because then you got 3d party code hooking it self into Explorer..
and even into MC.

MC is the only *known* install/software change within the last fortnight.  I didn't think it would be MC but just double checking.
I am quite strict with the AV/FW on what is allowed, & stuff silent installing 'should' be sandboxed automatically.  Nothing is 100% of course.
Win has settled down today - so I have to go back to M$ - the usual suspect.   ::)