Author Topic: Cannot Copy / Move / Attach in Email files from Network or Shared Folder...  (Read 13176 times)

commander34

• View Profile
Hi Sir / Mam,

Can somebody help me with my problem? I cannot copy / move files from Network or Shared Folder, I want to copy / attach files from our network shared folder, please see sample screenshots:

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
You are trying to overwrite a user's Desktop folder (and it already exists).

By default that folder is read-only...

commander34

• View Profile
Hi Sir Alan,

Thanks for the revert, but the problem is actually there's no same Folder name in the desktop even copying the mere file results to same error. Hope you could help me out with this. Thanks! :-)

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Is there a hidden file or folder with the name 'Desktop'?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
I don't really understand what you are doing . The copy say you are trying to replace the Desktop folder. that is not possible that folder is locked by windows.

There might be some error information in the Copy log (Filoperation log)  Ctrl+L

commander34

• View Profile
Hello Sir Mathias, thank you for prompt response . I have created a new folder "Test" in my backup external drive, you can see in screenshot that its blank and no hidden files. Then Tried to copy 2 PDF files from our network shared folder in the said local external drive. I encountered same problem. Please see attached.

Thanks!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Hello Sir Mathias, thank you for prompt response . I have created a new folder "Test" in my backup external drive, you can see in screenshot that its blank and no hidden files. Then Tried to copy 2 PDF files from our network shared folder in the said local external drive. I encountered same problem. Please see attached.

The error "Access Denied" means that you do not have file permission.
If the path in the error message are the path to the file on the sever. Then the source location does not allow for the file being read.
If the path is the target, it is that you do not have permission to write it.
With Ctrl+L in the FileOperation log you might have more information. Like if there was multiple error, and you see more exactly if it is a open file for reading error or open file for writing error

commander34

• View Profile
Hi Sir Mathias, Please see File Operations Log, I am copying files from our network shared folder, please do note that I have admin rights in the said shared folder that I'm maintaining, I can do read and write using Windows Explorer but not with Multi Commander. Please see attached. Thanks! :-)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
The error is that you are not allowed to read the source file because of permissions.
You might need to be admin to read it. So try running MC as admin.
Normal user and admin have different permission sets, specially for network.

commander34

• View Profile
Hello again Sir, but how come I can easily copy, paste and delete files using MS Explorer, I remember that they set me as admin in our network shared folder. What do you mean I need to be an Admin when I run MC?

Thanks again Sir Mathias, appreciate much! :-)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Because Explorer is integrated into windows and are allowed to auto elevate and do things as admin without giving a UAC prompt for some operation.
It can also be controlled by system admins via group policies, and they may also control what can be done as admin without asking.

To run MC (or any other program for that matter) with admin rights,  Than right click on MC shortcut and select run as administrator
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 13:32:44 by Mathias (Author) »

commander34

• View Profile
I have run MC as admin but same error occurred, do you think its because of group policies in our network? how to be able to use MC in our network folder?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
I have run MC as admin but same error occurred, do you think its because of group policies in our network? how to be able to use MC in our network folder?

It can be group polices , but it can be other reason. It is impossible for me to say.
It can even be security software that block anything trying to access the network share because of security reasons.
Corporate environments can have all kind of restrictions and security things that cause strange issues
All I can say it that something is blocking MC from reading the file, and that MC get the error code "Access Denied" from Windows when it tries to read the file.
Normally it is file permission, but can be policies, security software, or other uncommon configuration.

There might be information on what stopping it in the Windows EventLog. But that is a long shot. And it will only inform you on what software doing it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 13:57:51 by Mathias (Author) »

commander34

• View Profile
tsk tsk... I found MC very useful especially I'm maintaining large db files. Thanks for the help and infos Sir Mathias, I'll try to seek help from our network admin. Thanks again! :-)