Author Topic: 4DOS style descript.ion file support  (Read 7170 times)

GreenSlime

• View Profile
4DOS style descript.ion file support
« on: August 04, 2016, 14:02:50 »
Hi there,

I've been using MultiCommander for a year now, mostly occasionally when in need of two panel file management.

I've mostly resorted to using XNView as file / folder / image / video management tool of choice, but it has occasionally some hiccups that are hard to tolerate, like freezing on certain operations... t

hus I've used MultiCommander at those moments, however, it lacks the most important feature for me:  Support for descript.ion sidecart files.

They've been used at least since 4DOS days, back then also in ACDSee file/image viewer/browser, which I used then, till it became too bloated.

I find it very useful feature, I like to tag files, put some notes, and they will be written to hidden file in folder, and XNView can move and update per file info along operations (move/copy/delete).

However, when I hop to MultiCommander, work becomes lossy, as I might loose some comments, when I do copying...

So it would be quite nice feature IMO, and descript.ion support used to be sort of standard feature back in the day, not particularly interesting for many users, and Windows OS versions never have supported it, but then again, I never use file explorer for anything.

P.S
It would also be nice to have full color scheme support for UI, now I've made some coloring to pure aesthetic reasons, but it feels bit limited and utilitarian.

Thanks for creating this software!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: 4DOS style descript.ion file support
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:27 »
I was planned.  But since almost nobody is using it anymore. It have been pushed down the list of things to add support for.

GreenSlime

• View Profile
Re: 4DOS style descript.ion file support
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 13:57:37 »
Thanks for the reply.

[Rant]
That's too bad (people not using 4dos comments) IMO, but understandable.
Most of the younger users most likely don't even know such feature even existed once.
And even younger generations seem to only need smileys for their instant messengers and such, most likely don't even know how to store files on hard disk ;)
[/Rant]

Anyway - it would have been a nice addition, as I don't really know any better way to add temporary/more permanent notes and comments to files in as easy manner as descript.ion support allows.

For example, in ACDSee or XNView, it's so easy to mark files and see comments in column of your file browser...