Author Topic: Directory Shares Not Visible at Server Root  (Read 8421 times)

darklight_tr

• View Profile
Directory Shares Not Visible at Server Root
« on: August 31, 2016, 19:08:37 »
Hello,

I'm having a weird issue that I can't figure out.  When I use Explorer to view \\[SERVERNAME] I can see all directory shares that are on the server root.  When I do the same in Multi Commander, nothing displays.  I've tried all three (A, B, C) network browsing methods as well as going through all options, to no avail.  Is there something I am missing?

I'm running the latest v6.4.6 Build 2246 64-bit Edition.

Thanks!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Directory Shares Not Visible at Server Root
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 20:50:53 »
That is weird. If you do not get anything from any of them then something is wrong. All those 3 method are all the different ways that Windows provide network information from.
So then something is blocking MC from getting that. If you run some extra Firewall software it might be that.
Or if you are running some sandboxing software and forgot to exclude MC then something like that might also happen

You can also check the Application log.  there might be some error information there (Ctrl+L)

darklight_tr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 21:11:40 »
I know it is just really strange.  What is even more bizarre is if I use the address bar in Multi Commander and go \\[SERVERNAME]\ all of the shares will display in the drop down and I can get to them that way.  They just don't show up in the Explorer pane when I navigate to \\[SERVERNAME]\

This is running on my PC locally, through no virtualization or VM.  Would the firewall be a factor if I can use the address bar?

I looked at the log and didn't see any errors beyond "MultiLanguage text item not found!. ( 10004,s,1)"

I also tried a fresh Multi Commander profile to see if one of my options was causing it as well as having another person try the app on their PC.  Both of us have this exact issue.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 21:15:35 by darklight_tr »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 21:22:30 »
 the Scan Method only affect the the way the finding of the Servers, not the shares on a server so that settings does not matter..

Why shares is not shown I can't say. there is not much that can go wrong here.. Something must block MC from receiving the information or your network is very special so that normal calls to windows to get this information is not enough, But I never seen that

You can try and see if the command prompt will return them with
net view /all \\server
All the shares should be returned as type "Disk"

darklight_tr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 21:42:03 »
I tried the net view command and all the shares show up as Disk.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 21:52:35 »
Then I don't know.. There is no reason why it should not show up in MC.
Only think that can make it happen is if something external is blocking MC from checking it..  like Firewall software,, AntiVirus, Sandboxing, or other security software

darklight_tr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 22:04:54 »
Yay, I stumped the dev as much as I'm stumped myself!  :D

I'll keep looking into it to see if I can figure out why it isn't working.  Thanks for your help!

Also, I totally agree that it can be our network setup.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 22:10:00 by darklight_tr »