Author Topic: select files from keyboard  (Read 9020 times)

midros

• View Profile
select files from keyboard
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:23:35 »
Is there any way to select several files or folders from keyboard?. I mean using the arrow keys to highlight and then a keyboard shortcut to select one by one.
In win explorer you can do it with CTL - arrow keys - space, but in MC this can not be done.
(num+ is not what I am looking for because you have to use filters and shift+arrow keys selects only adjacent files)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Re: select files from keyboard
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 14:08:44 »
Would using the Norton Commander keyboard hotkeys via the MC commander-style setup solve this for you?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 15:24:49 »
Is there any way to select several files or folders from keyboard?. I mean using the arrow keys to highlight and then a keyboard shortcut to select one by one.
In win explorer you can do it with CTL - arrow keys - space, but in MC this can not be done.
(num+ is not what I am looking for because you have to use filters and shift+arrow keys selects only adjacent files)

It depends on what default setup you choose

The CommandStyled setup is more keyboard friendly then Insert key will toggle selection and move to next
Space normal also toggle selection but will also calculate size of folder if it is a folder.
Shift + arrow keys will do range selection.

If you do WinExplorerStyled setup then mouse is in focus and Ctrl/Shift selection normally works (unless you messed around in setting and turned it off)
There are toggle command in keyboard setup that you can hookup keys to.

midros

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 16:38:48 »
It depends on what default setup you choose

to be honest I don't remember. I 've been using MC for many years and I have customized a lot of things

The CommandStyled setup is more keyboard friendly then Insert key will toggle selection and move to next
Space normal also toggle selection but will also calculate size of folder if it is a folder.
Shift + arrow keys will do range selection.

I know these options but this is not what I am looking for. I want to select several files or folders that are not one after the other and then execute a command (let's say copy to..)

If you do WinExplorerStyled setup then mouse is in focus and Ctrl/Shift selection normally works (unless you messed around in setting and turned it off)

this is how I do it right now but I would rather not use the mouse.

There are toggle command in keyboard setup that you can hookup keys to.

the only commands I found were 'insert, space and num+' but as I already said they don't work for me

midros

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 16:41:55 »
Would using the Norton Commander keyboard hotkeys via the MC commander-style setup solve this for you?

sorry I am not sure what you mean

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 17:04:56 »

sorry I am not sure what you mean

The Commander Styled setup that you can select at first setup (or in quick look'n'feel setup) is similar to how the old popular filemanager in the old DOS days worked, that filemanger was named Norton Commander.  Almost all file manager that have "commander" in the name is using the key setup and layout style from this old norton commander file manager. It has become a genre/style among file manager.
The difference is that in MC you can also configure it to work similar to Windows Explorer. however it is not as flexible as the commander styled setup.