Author Topic: Rename locked file  (Read 7302 times)

halifax80

• View Profile
Rename locked file
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:44:32 »
MC has a frustrating behavior I have noticed more than one time when I tried to rename locked files. Here is how to reproduce the problem:
  • Take a file, for example a Word document, and open it in Word so it becomes locked.
  • Try to rename the file in MC.
  • You get a popup window which gives you 3 options: "Do you want to search for processes that are using the file/folder?" Yes, No, Cancel.
  • No matter which one you click, you lose the new name of the file you've just entered because MC exits the rename mode.
This is especially frustrating when the new file name is long or it was hard to enter for some reason.

Would it be possible that at least when I select "Cancel" then MC simply returns to rename mode (where I was before) and lets me close the file in Word manually and retry the rename by simply pressing Enter and not having to enter the new name again?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Rename locked file
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 16:36:25 »
Interesting but there is a problem,
if you are returned back into inline renaming of the file, and then you switch to Word to close it. MC loses input focus while you are doing that and MC can't be in inline rename mode anymore.

halifax80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 22:30:44 »
Thanks for the reply. You are right. I tested it and indeed when I switch to an other window MC comes out of inline rename mode. I'm not a Windows developer so I don't know what options you have with input focus. It would be nice if MC could remain in rename mode, but I don't know if this is technically possible.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 07:56:00 »
Thanks for the reply. You are right. I tested it and indeed when I switch to an other window MC comes out of inline rename mode. I'm not a Windows developer so I don't know what options you have with input focus. It would be nice if MC could remain in rename mode, but I don't know if this is technically possible.

Technical it is. But it will cause so many other issues.
So keeping the item in rename mode even if MC is not active is not possible.