Author Topic: 2 portable devices - both expand to display direcory structure of only one  (Read 9985 times)

niman

• View Profile
I have two tabs open for two Canon Powershot portable cameras (Win 7Pro 64 bit). When I attempt to expand the entire directory structure in the 2nd tab for the 2nd camera it reverts to display that fior the first (i.e. both tabs directory structure for one camera.

If I open two separate Windows explorer Windows, the directory structure of each is displayed correctly.

niman

• View Profile
Please find attached 2 screenshots which i hope exemplify the problem.

Filename "mulit-portable-1.JPG" displays the Multi Commander expanded directory of both connected portable items (to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) as having an image directory with name "139__08".

That directory name does not reflect the physical reality which is depicted in filename multi-portable-2.jpg. This displays standard Windows directory display for the 2 portable devices in 2 separate windows.

The image directory of the first portable device camera image directory is with name "139__08" while the second portable device has image directory with name "108__08"

I actually need to script download from what will be 64 attached cameras (as portable devices) but until the GUI is explained have no confidence that the problem will not also occur with script.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 19:34:00 by niman »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Ahh Yes.. Since they have the name, MC see it as the same device, that is the problem. Since they are hook into a virtual path system. And they are named the same. the virtual path will be the same.. so they come in conflict with each other.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 22:34:39 by Mathias (Author) »

niman

• View Profile
Thanks Mathias - just tested freefilesync & it seems to have the same issue.

Is it an easy or impossible fix? If easy any possibility of a possible timescale?

(great bit of software bye the way).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
I will check.. But I don't think it is a quick fix.. since it would require that it will have to generate a unique path root name, and keep track of the how that is connected with the real.

I actually got that issue on my todo list. But it is way down on the list, It is not very common to add two identical devices at the same time like that.

niman

• View Profile
Ok Mathias ... thanks for letting me know  ;)

niman

• View Profile
Hi again Mathias.

In case any of the following could help your investigaton  :)

Attached is an image that shows that a "regular Windows" window exposes the unique serial number of the camera device (that is the case for all of my camera devices). As you can see it is a 32 character string.

This link describes the device properties that are supported by Windows Portable Devices:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd319322%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Since the serial is very large maybe you could use, say, the last six digits for unique ID?

Perhaps code lines 235 to 238 here could also help:
https://fossies.org/linux/calibre/src/calibre/devices/mtp/windows/device_enumeration.cpp

Code: [Select]
235     hr = keys->Add(WPD_DEVICE_FRIENDLY_NAME);
  236     hr = keys->Add(WPD_DEVICE_MANUFACTURER);
  237     hr = keys->Add(WPD_DEVICE_MODEL);
  238     hr = keys->Add(WPD_DEVICE_SERIAL_NUMBER);
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:41:55 by niman »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
I know.. But the problem is that not all portable devices report a serial number. (and some fake it by returning same for all of them)
But there are other way. but it must also map into the virtual file system.

niman

• View Profile
Understood Mathias.

Thanks.

niman

• View Profile
Another thought just occurred to me Mathias (hope you don't mind me asking  :-[)

... perhaps the device could be mapped to a drive letter ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
:) Sorry.. Windows is handling all of that.
If I fake map a it to a letter in MC, it will cause conflicts when you map you own stuff in windows to that letter.

Sorry It is not an easy fix,  But I got the issue on my list.

niman

• View Profile
No problem Mathias.

Thanks again - i'll keep watching  :)