Author Topic: Can't copy files to or from portable device  (Read 6762 times)

Tom L

• View Profile
Can't copy files to or from portable device
« on: November 15, 2017, 19:20:20 »
I drag a file that is visible on the Explorer Panel of a portable device (phone, which is attached via USV port to my pc) to my pc's desktop or other folder, but nothing happens.  I can see the gray rectangle icon with the gray file name and the plus sign (for copy) move along as I drag, but when I release the mouse button, the file I'm trying to copy doesn't appear in the destination. OR if I try to move a file on portable device somewhere else on the portable device I get two error messages as in attachment.

When I do the same thing using Windows File Explorer (Win 8.1) it copies in either direction with no problem.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Can't copy files to or from portable device
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 19:53:17 »
Portable device are exposed in MC under a virtual device called WPD.. You can not drag those files to Windows Explorer, since windows explorer does not know what WPD is..
the virtual device WPD is only valid inside MC

There might be more about the error message in the file operation log  Ctrl+L.. that might say why.

Tom L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 21:47:30 »
I didn't see anything that I was able to make use of in the file operation log.

But I did find that I was able to drag a file from inside MC not to the physical Windows desktop, but at least to the Desktop folder in MC. It then appeared on the physical Windows desktop.

Interestingly, the reverse action, dragging a file from the physical Windows desktop to a folder in the MC window was successful.

Thanks for your help!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 07:21:03 »
Interestingly, the reverse action, dragging a file from the physical Windows desktop to a folder in the MC window was successful.
Yes, of course since the file you drag is a normal file on normal device and not on a virtual device.