Author Topic: MultiCommander v8.9 BETA  (Read 69410 times)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
MultiCommander v8.9 BETA
« on: March 03, 2019, 14:50:39 »
Finally a new Beta version is here.

It been a while and it is because I do not have so much time to put on MultiCommander these day like before.
Also this release have taken extra long since I had to redesign more than I planned.

The new major core feature is that MultiCommander now have core support for virtual devices.

What it that?
That is a fake device inside MultiCommander that can hold references and show files and folder that are located in other places.
But since they are located in the virtual device almost all other features in MultiCommander will work on them,
also the Explorer panel see it as any other location so File coloring, custom columns, thumbnails and so on works on file references located in the virtual device.

So what are you going to use this for? Well as a user you will not use it directly but other features in MultiCommander will and the first one
that is using it is File Search.
Instead of file search to open its own result panel. the result will now be show in a virtual device named RES1:, or RES2:, RES3, (up to 9)
So with this,  File coloring and filtering and other features that normally work with normal paths now works on the search result.

(If there are any issue with the new result devices for file search you can enable the old search panel in Core settings > fileSystem > Tweaks )

Some other bug and minor features have also been fixed but they are not included in this beta. They re added in another code branch and will be included in the coming beta versions.

So test out the new search result panel. and let me know what works and what does not work. I got a list already of something to change. But all feedback around this is good

One different from the old panel search is that you no longer can have multiple searches running at the same time.
Not sure if that is and issue ? Support for that might be added again if there are any requests for it

Build 2515
This release has no new fixed for the new search but how progress dialogs are shown have been rewitten. This to get around the Windows 10 (1809) bug where the input focus window was not returned to MC when progress was closed. If there are any issue there is a temporary settings in Core Settings > FileSystem > Tweaks  that can you change to go back to the old way.

Build 2523 - 2019-06-08
* Can now search in the RESx: Device, So it is now possible to search in the search result
* Other minor fixes and clean up making ready for release

Build 2520 - 2019-05-26
* Added button in Explorer panel that are active only for Virtual Devices.
  It have commands for excluding items and more
* Added above commands also to context menu
* Bug Fixes

Build 2517 - 2019-05-03
* Added button top stop / pause search in waiting screen
If two panels show the res both will show the button and screen.

Build 2515 - 2019-04-28
* Fixed update issue with some progress dialogs in some situations
* Fixed issue view VirtualDeviceFolder then populated by Search Result
* Various minor update issues with search and virtual device folder fixed
* Folder search is currently searching is is now shown when filesystem scan is waiting for search to complete.
* GoogleDrive is now detected and shown in DropDown/Toolbar for cloud drive.
* SQLite support added. MC can now read/wite SQLite DB. Used for GoogleDrive support, But are plans to use it for other things in the future
* Pressing Ctrl+Left/Right arrow in th RESx: panel now works better, (Open item into other panel)
* Some stability and memory issues fixed

Build 2508 - 2019-04-07
Rewritten how progress dialogs are shown to get around the Windows 10 1809 Bug where focus was not returned to MC when program dialog was closed

Build 2500 - 2019-03-10
Added running progress in status bar when searching is active
If RESx: panel need to open open. It will now open in the target panel
Language Fixes

Build 2499 - 2019-03-06
Removed so you can not force start the old search panel from menu.
Search in extension menu is replaced with the "Find Files..." command that are also located under File Menu
You might need to update shortcut if you customized it.

(Bug post from previous build is split into its own post)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 15:27:39 by Mathias (Author) »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: MultiCommander v8.9 BETA
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 22:42:08 »
Report any bugs you find and please try to specify exactly how I can reproduce it. .There are often multiple way to do things in MC and since I have limited time, it would be great if you can be as specific as possible when reporting bug.

Most issues I look for is how the new Virtual result panel works. if there are any command of function in MC that does not work on files in the RESx: device.
And so on..

One know issue is that if the search is taking long time to scan and it does not find anything for a long time. You do not really see that anything is happening.
It looks like it might have stalled. but it has not.
I have not really decided on how to show that it is still working yet.  So if you got a cleaver idea. feel free to post it.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:33 »
One know issue is that if the search is taking long time to scan and it does not find anything for a long time. You do not really see that anything is happening.
I have not really decided on how to show that it is still working yet.  So if you got a cleaver idea. feel free to post it.
What about "endless"/marquee progress bar llike when calculating folder size?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:02:59 »
What about "endless"/marquee progress bar llike when calculating folder size?
It is on my possible list. not sure if the current path being searched should be visible or not. if not. then the progress bar in the status bar would work.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:01:11 »
Maybe a compact (optional) floating window with all active operations, which could be minimized/restored to/from that window? Like external status bar. But I guess it is not an easy task.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 11:45:08 »
I would vote for Jungle's idea of the marquee progress bar.

It is simple, informative enough (showing each part of the path being searched is unnecessary overhead, IMHO) and it is consistent with the rest of the MC interface.

Edit: Build 2499 seems to fix the crashing problem.  Thanks Mathias.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:49:07 by AlanJB »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 14:59:02 »
So far so good for me - no CTDs etc.

Ref the search panel - I'd previously assigned it to a toolbar button - that is now broken, has the reference ### changed or...?
The RES# method seems more versatile but I'd like the window to open in the opposite pane as per old behavior or is that switchable via options?

I will keep digging just in case this is me not & MC  :P

Thanks for the continued MC dev work Mathias :)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:03:47 »
So far so good for me - no CTDs etc.

Ref the search panel - I'd previously assigned it to a toolbar button - that is now broken, has the reference ### changed or...?
The RES# method seems more versatile but I'd like the window to open in the opposite pane as per old behavior or is that switchable via options?

I will keep digging just in case this is me not & MC  :P

Thanks for the continued MC dev work Mathias :)
Hmm If you reference via the search extension command you need to change so you call it using the "FindFiles…" command.. the core command found under the file menu

Yes it should open in the target panel, Will fix that

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 14:55:08 »
Thanks Mathias

I'd originally assigned e05470df6fa74db19ad73aa2c34228ba - that had been working...
I went thru the command selection process again & assigned e05470df6fa74db19ad73aa2c34228ba (again?!) & now it's working OK ::)  so that is just MC giving me a slap in the face I think :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 14:57:28 by Ulfhednar »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 12:54:26 »
Thanks Mathias

I'd originally assigned e05470df6fa74db19ad73aa2c34228ba - that had been working...
I went thru the command selection process again & assigned e05470df6fa74db19ad73aa2c34228ba (again?!) & now it's working OK ::)  so that is just MC giving me a slap in the face I think :D
e05470df6fa74db19ad73aa2c34228ba ? that is a ID of your UserDefinedCommand ?
Then it depends on what that command was using.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 15:05:12 »
---

e05470df6fa74db19ad73aa2c34228ba ? that is a ID of your UserDefinedCommand ?
Then it depends on what that command was using.

Ah ok, I thought the ref # was the command called not the UDC ref #.  I'd previously had 'find files' selected in the dropdown & making a new UDC with that reselected restored that ref #. 
Will see what happens with the new build. ;)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 19:16:07 »
Build 2508
It works very good, but there is no real time progress and realtime bandwidth anymore.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 22:38:10 »
Build 2508
It works very good, but there is no real time progress and realtime bandwidth anymore.
Hmm Strange..  I can't reproduce that.
It is always ? Only on some locations ? or other unique situation ?

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 18:12:33 »
It is always, local and over network.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 18:35:56 »
I know this isn't exactly helpful, but I cannot reproduce either.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 18:40:10 »
the problem with the lack of progress and and speed seems to be only present when copying very big files. I made today a copy of a folder with smaller files and the progres info was back for this job.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 10:56:52 »
the problem with the lack of progress and and speed seems to be only present when copying very big files. I made today a copy of a folder with smaller files and the progres info was back for this job.

@Matthias515566, I just tested with a 2GB file then a 41Gb file..  Still got progress bars...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 14:01:10 »
Might be fixed in latest beta.  In some situations it was not always updated

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 10:11:35 »
I have the Build 2515 installed and yes, the problem is fixed now. I have a AMD A6-6310. I thougt this people which have not the problem was intel users :). Thank you for this very nice work.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 09:25:26 »
I have the Build 2515 installed and yes, the problem is fixed now. I have a AMD A6-6310. I thougt this people which have not the problem was intel users :). Thank you for this very nice work.
No did not have to do with that. It was just timer that updates the UI in the progress window that did not start correctly in some situations

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 17:54:24 »
Thank you very much for allowing 60 Tab sessions. Today i created another new tab session and was happy that it works. The alternative is save tabs to file, but i like it when everything in one place and i forget always where the files saved. :)

corsair

• View Profile
Hi!

Since the TrendMicro OfficeScan update yesterday, I am detecting a false positive copy of files to a server.

The versions are:

TrendMicro OfficeScan v.12.0.5294 SP1
SmartScan Agent Pattern 15.115.00 (05/17/2019)
Behavior Monitoring Detection 1.899.64 (05/14/2019)

The observation is: "Unauthorized File Encryption".

Thank you.-

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Hi!

Since the TrendMicro OfficeScan update yesterday, I am detecting a false positive copy of files to a server.

The versions are:

TrendMicro OfficeScan v.12.0.5294 SP1
SmartScan Agent Pattern 15.115.00 (05/17/2019)
Behavior Monitoring Detection 1.899.64 (05/14/2019)

The observation is: "Unauthorized File Encryption".

Thank you.-

Yes, A program like a File manager is always going to look suspicious for a security software since the app is deleting and copy and moving files.
so fales positivs are always going to be an issue., There is nothing I can do about that

Jean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 17:11:26 »
I'm having trouble using drag / drop and holding shift to copy files on the same drive, it always does a move. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 11:30:48 »
Should that not be Ctrl + drag/drop?

Shift + drag/drop does a move in Windows Explorer...