Author Topic: Develop all nodes  (Read 12237 times)

Pierre83

• View Profile
Develop all nodes
« on: November 22, 2011, 13:05:39 »
Hello. I just discovered this great soft and am trying to use it.
1 feature I was unable to found is the one provided by the * key in Windows Explorer = developping all nodes of a folder in the folder panel, allowing to display all the sub-folders without having to click on each "+".
Am I wrong or this feature is not part of MC?
Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Develop all nodes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 15:19:48 »
So if you stand in C:\ in the FolderTree view it should expand the entire drive ?

That feature was left out on purpose, because it can have some really strange effect on the program with lockup and other stuff. in situation where you got lot of files and subfolders.

Pierre83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 22:58:31 »
Indeed, it can be dangerous used at the root of a disk (like it is currently in Windows).

But it is very useful when you have a lot of files to assign to several subfolders.
For example, consider you have 10 year foldders, each one with 12 month subfolders, each month including a "me" and "others" subfolders. (And on the right panel, xxx pictures to dispatch). Without *, you need to click 130 times on all the +  to have all the folders displaying on the left panel.

I don't know if it could interest other people.
On my side, this is the only missing feature preventing me to become a MC user.
Thanks.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:13:21 »
I haven't yet tried built-in scripting, but what if make it possible to do expanding via scripts?

P.S. Some nodes in folder tree have "+" square although they haven't subfolders. So when you try expand such nodes, "+" just disappears
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:30:26 by Jungle »

Pierre83

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 17:50:43 »
Being able to expand all the nodes of the subfolders and subsubfolders from one folders with scripting could be great. I must say I'm not a programmer.
Using this feature, the + for the folders without any subfolder should disappear too then.
Thanks.

sheffieldma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 22:59:24 »
I have a related request. Currently, the nodes in the folder tree are shown with "+" or "-" symbols, which can be clicked on to expand or collapse the subtree. As previous comments pointed out, even folders without subfolders have the +. The only way to see if a folder has subfolders is to click on the + (or click on the folder name). It would be helpful if the + was only shown for the folders that had subfolders. This is the way that Windows Explorer works (my system is Win XP).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 13:58:14 »
It work like that because of performance reason. Else it would have to look in all subfolder and check if they really are empty or not, and that would hurt performance a bit.
I do not think I will change that behavior.

sheffieldma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 22:20:59 »
It would be helpful if the + was only shown for the folders that had subfolders.

I suspect the performance would be good for most users who have only local, and not network disks. Perhaps it could be made an option in the Tweaking category?

Another possibility would be to make it a command, similar to Refresh. The scanning could be limited to a selected folder (and its subfolders).