Author Topic: Backup far from complete  (Read 6473 times)

FredeF

• View Profile
Backup far from complete
« on: January 27, 2020, 16:48:34 »

I have now for the first time used the backup (Core and Explorer settings export/import), because I updated from v9.2 to v9.6.1.
The backups do a very bad job and a lot of settings are not restored, I think mainly from the Explorer settings.
I will name a few: Button window and some toolbars are now on, they were off. Also the number and size of the panes are wrong.
Also the "Quick Look'nFeel setup" comes on every time I start MC. How do kill it? I don't want it, I try to use a backup.
I use the portable 32bit version.
Am I doing something wrong, or does it simply not work as properly?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Backup far from complete
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 17:05:10 »
It will backup all the configuration settings (*.xml) file in config/  and for extension.
But things like button window on/off and toolbar are not really configuration settings that are not saved in the settings file. they are saved in the registry (or .ini files for portable) since they are like temporary settings for the session.
Session settings in the registry are not backuped.. since they are considered  temporary. like windows position, history from combo boxes. last used path. and such

Quick look'n'feel is shown because you did not select anything.  just select something and it will not be shown again.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 17:08:09 by Mathias (Author) »

FredeF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 18:20:46 »

Does this mean I should save the .ini file (portable), or the reg entries (installed)?
Is there any advantage of using the installable version?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 22:09:49 »

Does this mean I should save the .ini file (portable), or the reg entries (installed)?
Is there any advantage of using the installable version?
if you want to backup all unnessasary things like windows pos, session history and such, then you should save ini or reg.

Portable and installed edition are the same binaries. only different is default configuration

FredeF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 00:18:30 »
Well, nothing is absolutely necessary to back up, it can all be configured manually afterwards.
I prefer not to set the user interface manually up on new, and now I know what how to prevent it, thank you  8)