Author Topic: midfilenamequick search  (Read 14400 times)

Void

• View Profile
midfilenamequick search
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:43 »
It would be awesome if there was an option to set the quicksearch to work inside filenames, not only with the first letters. So for example I would like to type "pho..." and be jumped to the folder "Interesting Photos". This is handy as sometimes in big folders with many files I quickly remember for example in a book list the author name, instead of the book name and I'd like to be on the file even if the author comes after the book name. Thank you so very much!

PS: the new beta is brilliant and already has shockingly many new features and fixes! Awesoooooooomee!!!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: midfilenamequick search
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:12:00 »
Good idea. I will see if this can be added

The view filter (CTRL+F) does already support substring matching. So you can use that until quicksearch can support it.

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:37 »
Gosh, thank you so much! with the latest update now this works fantastic! This is a huge productivity booster!!! thank you so very very much!!! It's great not just for multi word file names but also for quick jumps to the exact file you want when there might be multiple results by picking the most unique search item google search style! aweeesooome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:17:52 »
I don't know whether it is a bug or by design: with 'Search for text parts anywhere' enabled first symbol in search field can not be deleted.

P.S. I think wildcard would be more convenient and flexible than separate option (but, probably, much harder to implement).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:19:41 by Jungle »

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:34 »
Jungle: with all due respect, if I understand right what you mean by wildcard I would like to strongly disagree: wildcard search was available before too, and I never used it, but the way it's now available is peeeeeeeeeeeerfeeect! No extra typing, just enter a folder and start quick typing filename and i'm on it instantly. No search command, no wildcard symbols, just works automagically.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 17:14:20 »
wildcard search was available before too

I don't see any way to use wildcard in quicksearch field.

No extra typing, just enter a folder and start quick typing filename and i'm on it instantly. No search command, no wildcard symbols, just works automagically.

Well, '*' and '?' symbols are common for filemasks since MS-DOS or maybe even earlier times. I just wonder what is the reason in additional options if quick search can accept typical filemask. I suppose current behaviour is less difficult to implement. Maybe, indeed, nobody would use filemasks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 17:17:08 by Jungle »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:12:10 »
I don't know whether it is a bug or by design: with 'Search for text parts anywhere' enabled first symbol in search field can not be deleted.

It is a bug.. I will fix that.

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:41:30 »
I'm soooooooooooooooo loving this feature! Thank you so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so soooooooooooooo very much!!! Life is so much easier and faster now! thaaaaaaaaaaaank youuu!!!!!!!!!!1

Crash+Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:23:38 »
Well I did search for: Quick Search, before I posted in a new thread.
Apparently the board software can't find this thread because it is named "midfilenamequick search" instead of "mid-filename quick search"

Why not? An asterix (wildcard) '*' and question mark '?' are not allowed in file or folder names. So if it they were used in the Quick Search field, they could easily represent what they do almost every where else, all the way from GLOB matching, basic CMD.exe|Batch and many other editing-type applications use '*' and '?'.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:01 »
Why not? An asterix (wildcard) '*' and question mark '?' are not allowed in file or folder names. So if it they were used in the Quick Search field, they could easily represent what they do almost every where else, all the way from GLOB matching, basic CMD.exe|Batch and many other editing-type applications use '*' and '?'.
I been thinking about maybe adding wildcard support.. However it would require a bit of redesign. So Im not sure If Im up for that.