Author Topic: filtering + folders  (Read 9783 times)

Void

• View Profile
filtering + folders
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:40:36 »
One thing I found rather confusing and wanted to ask for a tweak on is the quick filter. It's a brilliant idea, but because of one little option I find it difficult and don't use it enough: let's say i have folders with many .jpg files. I want to filter *.jpg. The confusing thing is that if I go one level up to go into another folder of images I don't see the folders. I think the filder should be set so that folders can be set to be always visible. They are the containers in which we navigate in and thus making them disappear takes us out of context. Because of this I often use the search... but that's not so optimal so thought I'd mention this. I think maybe there could be a check box in the config near the filter to toggle the visibility of folders.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: filtering + folders
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:14:51 »
In the latest beta (Build 1005) there are a settings that will make it reset the filtering to *.* when you change path.
and one that will restore the filter when you return to a folder you previously had set a filter on.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:26 »
I suggest prefixes in filter. E.g. filter with leading "/" should only work for folders, with leading ":" - only for files, no prefix should work both for files and folders. If possible and not hard to implement.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:42:38 »
/ Used to work. But had to be disabled because of some weird conflicts in some situations

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 14:15:37 »
I mean if filter is "/*.png :*.jpg *.gif",
then MC should look for *.png only among folders, *.jpg only among files, *.gif - among files and folders. So the first char(s) in each filter token should be like a flag. They have not necessarily be "/" and ":". Maybe "<" and ">". Or ":" and "::"

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 14:36:29 »
Yes.. "/" Used to be for folder specific filter. And for exclude it still works "-/FolderToExclude"
"!" is used for Date filtering  !today , -!today , !YYYY-MM-DD , -!YYYY-MM-DD

But /folderfilter has some problem. and are disabled. I will see if I can get it fixed.