Author Topic: replace all & auto rename all  (Read 9265 times)

Void

• View Profile
replace all & auto rename all
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:29 »
Hi. Two productivity suggestions that I think would be very cool:
1) a quick shortcut to replace all files. Example: i just downsampled a lot of images and now I want to overwrite them. I do F6, Enter, and then I get the overwrite question. Would be great if every one of those buttons would have a little hotkey. For example I'd do "F6, Enter, (alt?)l" sequence very fast knowing that would quickly select replace-all. Since this is done often I think this would speed up the workflow in MC.
2) one button that I think is missing there is Auto-rename and Auto Rename All. In cases like this with tens of files in case you know they just all happened to have been numbered in a generic way like 1, 2, 3, 4, .... by the camera it would be nice to have the option to autorename them with one click. For example then if there are two 1 images the new one would become 1a or something like that

Oh, and that reminds me, maybe it's changed since then, but would also be nice to have an all as administrator in case it's needed. I haven't needed this recently so maybe the issue is gone but I remember a while ago I was deleting stuff from a mobile hdd and for every single file it would ask me if I want to do it as administrator and go into that authorization mode.

Thank you so very much! Hope I'm not annoying you with all these suggestions. Sure, it would be helpful to me, but also in the end it will help make MC into even better with small tweaks, so I hope you won't get upset at me.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: replace all & auto rename all
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 13:16:23 »
1) a quick shortcut to replace all files. Example: i just downsampled a lot of images and now I want to overwrite them. I do F6, Enter, and then I get the overwrite question. Would be great if every one of those buttons would have a little hotkey. For example I'd do "F6, Enter, (alt?)l" sequence very fast knowing that would quickly select replace-all. Since this is done often I think this would speed up the workflow in MC.
There should be accelerator shotcuts already .. but after looking now it looks like they are gone.
Accelerator shotcut are when you see "Replace" and the character that is underlined is the shortcut for the button. You often see this shortcuts in menus and dialog.
I will put them back..

2) one button that I think is missing there is Auto-rename and Auto Rename All. In cases like this with tens of files in case you know they just all happened to have been numbered in a generic way like 1, 2, 3, 4, .... by the camera it would be nice to have the option to autorename them with one click. For example then if there are two 1 images the new one would become 1a or something like that
The entire "Overwrite" dialog is on my list of thinks that need a complete redesign. Because if I add all the options one can have there you end up with 15-20 buttons. and that is UI hell. That dialog need to be smarter some way. However there are some auto rename think in MC. But right now I do not remember when it is triggered. Will have to look it up.

Oh, and that reminds me, maybe it's changed since then, but would also be nice to have an all as administrator in case it's needed. I haven't needed this recently so maybe the issue is gone but I remember a while ago I was deleting stuff from a mobile hdd and for every single file it would ask me if I want to do it as administrator and go into that authorization mode.
Under Core Settings there is a "Run as Administror Mode" category
Make sure "Auto retry as admin" is on. Then it should not ask to retry as admin, it just do that automaticcly . (Well depend on in what situation it is and what it is doing)
If it still asks to many times. give me a situation where it fails and I will see if I can fix it.

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 13:28:54 »
Thank you so very much! you're aweeeeeesooooooooooomeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 13:39:12 »
The entire "Overwrite" dialog is on my list of thinks that need a complete redesign. Because if I add all the options one can have there you end up with 15-20 buttons. and that is UI hell. That dialog need to be smarter some way.
Hey. I just had an idea! User responsivity and smaller interface! I know what you're talking about as in TC there's some "more" options. On one hand it's nice that you have more options, on the other it happens that sometimes exactly the buttons I need are in the more section thus requiring more clicks. So how about having a fixed + more section, but with the fixed section responding to the individual user. So whenever a button gets used by a particular user it's counter gets incremented. And only the top 5 buttons appear the others beign hidden behind the "more" (two arrows or something) button. I don't remember seeing this anywhere before but I think it may be priceless. It would mean that for example pretty soon, less than a week of use my very own MC would only have 2 buttons: overwrite all, auto rename all :D