Author Topic: Font in DeviceDropdown  (Read 7884 times)

batman69

• View Profile
Font in DeviceDropdown
« on: December 14, 2020, 20:56:24 »
Dear Mathias!

I join to this feedback: font in DropDown Device Menu has become too large. For me, it doesn't fit the common UI of MC now.
Also, the icons right to this DropDown Menu (such as folder tree, eject, etc.) seem to try to autoscale with this string, leading to they (icons) stretch with lost of quality (could be seen on the attached screen).
As I understand, it could be fixed a little by setting Free Space Fonts size to lower value. I barely could say this is a way out, because, the Free Space become absolutely unreadable itself.
Could You please fix this or even add a checkbox to turn of Autoscaling, and another field for adjusting DropDown Device Menu Font Size, and for Command LIne font Size? :)

MC is the best!
Thank you so much!

BTW:  1920:1080,   125%, Win10 2H20

Add: with XP edition of MC (ver.9.8 ) everything is alright! Fonts are OK!  Please, fix it in the latest actual version! Thank You a lot again!
Add2: regarding a discussion about Settings hell - I suppose MC is a tool for power PC user usually. So it is better to have this settings. Anyway there is always a default values, which would be acceptable for most of the people, and the rest will adjust it! Just remember, a lot of professional programs have tons of settings and it is never an issue )
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 21:14:05 by batman69 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Font in DeviceDropdown
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 08:49:24 »
Well you run at 125% scaling., Then icons will try to scale. I think it uses the 24px size icons then, Standard desktop app in Windows do not support vector icons, so it jumps between the fixed size of the icons if they exists. not all icons exists in all sizes then they are stretch or shrinked.

The dropdown font is at 100% 14px. for 125% it should be 17px, This will not change. The icon is larger then the font, so the row height will not be affected anyway with smaller font. However The top/bottom margin have been tweaked and in v10.2 is is around 2px (in 100% scaling) less margin, so around 2 full items shorter in height

Looks like you are wanting to run MC as 100% even if you runt Windows at 125%. You might be able to force that with compatibility settings tab in properties for the shortcut

This have been like this in the BETA release for a long time. There was a time to influence how this worked then, but I got no feedback around this then. Now only minor tweaks are done.

Well XP Edition is using the old standard ComboBox and XP edition do have major scaling issue. running it with high scaling it looks very bad and it also do not support dark mode. It also will not receive any new features.

Settings leads to settings hell. It is not just a UI issue. The more option there is the more complexity the code is, the more bugs there will be. because different settings can and will cause conflicts with other settings. You end up with a code that is hell to maintain.

batman69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 16:20:57 »
Dear Mathias!

Thanks a lot for the rapid answer!

Regarding the icons - yes, I can confirm, most of the icons I use have become suitable for FHD resolution. Only "Up" and "Eject" are old a little, causing they haven't enough pixels and don't fit good to the common modern display. We'll be waiting for the re-painting it in further updates  :)   (check first prtscr please)

So why is DropDown Menu Font size 14px, isn't it too much? What was this value in previous 9.x version? All the other fonts are adjusted to 8px.
I wouldn't say I'm wanting to run MC as 100%. I would say, I wish to run it like MC 9.x  :)   
Please, check the second screenshot. Here are V10.1, V9.8XP, Win Explorer. They are just running all together to be able to compare the scaling.
So what I would say - here is a perfect fonts consistent in V9.8, and here is an evidence little issue with the DropDown Menu font size in V10.1. (And also the Command LIne Prompt font is larger than it was a little).
So I (and some other users I suppose) will really appreciate if You could manage fonts will be appeared as before, as in V9.8!  :)

Also, I tried to run MC V10.1 with different DPI settings in Porperties, as You said. No matter, scaling and fonts appearing is always the same.

I didn't know that Beta testing is open for everybody, I could use it, if You'll suppose some of my reports could be useful.

Be awaiting for further fixes in further version! Thank You, Mathias!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 16:23:52 by batman69 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 16:51:30 »
Dear Mathias!

Thanks a lot for the rapid answer!

Regarding the icons - yes, I can confirm, most of the icons I use have become suitable for FHD resolution. Only "Up" and "Eject" are old a little, causing they haven't enough pixels and don't fit good to the common modern display. We'll be waiting for the re-painting it in further updates  :)   (check first prtscr please)

So why is DropDown Menu Font size 14px, isn't it too much? What was this value in previous 9.x version? All the other fonts are adjusted to 8px.
I wouldn't say I'm wanting to run MC as 100%. I would say, I wish to run it like MC 9.x  :)   
Please, check the second screenshot. Here are V10.1, V9.8XP, Win Explorer. They are just running all together to be able to compare the scaling.
So what I would say - here is a perfect fonts consistent in V9.8, and here is an evidence little issue with the DropDown Menu font size in V10.1. (And also the Command LIne Prompt font is larger than it was a little).
So I (and some other users I suppose) will really appreciate if You could manage fonts will be appeared as before, as in V9.8!  :)

Also, I tried to run MC V10.1 with different DPI settings in Porperties, as You said. No matter, scaling and fonts appearing is always the same.

I didn't know that Beta testing is open for everybody, I could use it, if You'll suppose some of my reports could be useful.

Be awaiting for further fixes in further version! Thank You, Mathias!

Yes,things are changing between version. The app is not static and never changes. well 9.8 XP edition almost is.
But as you see the UI is little smaller in total for 10 (toolbars, all all of that ).. so more pixel for the filelist in v10

Some icons does not exits in all sizes. all icons are free use icons I found somewhere.  I can't draw my self. So the icon will changes if other free icons are found or
if somebody with drawing skill can contribute it.

Don't mix up 8pt font and px.  8point is not the same as 8pixels. What it was before I don't know maybe 9pt or 10pt but it does not matter. The entire combobox is new and not the standard one. it works different and support more features. I would say the font was to small before dependent on the size on the combobox. That was more noticeable on 4k screen with 170-250% scaling.
Problem is also that it is impossible to be perfect in all scaling mode because of rounding errors. Fixing for on size will create issue in another size.
Problem is that GDI UI is not made to be scaled from the beginning. the DPI scaling is a workaround MS added to Windows when the need come. With modern UI it is handled almost automatically. (Like WPF, UWP, WinUI) But for now the app is stuck in legacy UI framework.

9.8 has major issue in higher dpi settings and the standard combobox does not support dark mode, so it will not be changed to what it was.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 16:58:21 by Mathias (Author) »

jabauer650

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:22:24 »
When upgrading to 10.2 I noticed the same change as the OP.  The font size of the device dropdown no longer matches that of the tabs above (or the file names below).  I don't see where I can configure it -- perhaps I'm missing something?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 10:40:54 »
When upgrading to 10.2 I noticed the same change as the OP.  The font size of the device dropdown no longer matches that of the tabs above (or the file names below).  I don't see where I can configure it -- perhaps I'm missing something?
That is correct . . guess you are running 175% scaling ?

jabauer650

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 15:37:25 »
Thanks, Mathias.  125% but, yes, scaling.

I think I'm starting to understand.  What I didn't realize is that Windows provides a way to either scale everything or just increase the size of text.  I may be able to meet my needs by just scaling text.  Is that what you're suggesting?

What I just now tried is to change Windows settings to 100% scaling and Ease of Access > Display > 'make text bigger'.  This does appear to make text bigger in File Explorer but not MC.  So I then used Configuration > Explorer Panel settings > Display > Fonts and adjusted those up.  That seems to do the trick.

Is this what you had in mind?  Asking for myself and I figure others may also find the steps helpful.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 17:05:26 »
Thanks, Mathias.  125% but, yes, scaling.

I think I'm starting to understand.  What I didn't realize is that Windows provides a way to either scale everything or just increase the size of text.  I may be able to meet my needs by just scaling text.  Is that what you're suggesting?

What I just now tried is to change Windows settings to 100% scaling and Ease of Access > Display > 'make text bigger'.  This does appear to make text bigger in File Explorer but not MC.  So I then used Configuration > Explorer Panel settings > Display > Fonts and adjusted those up.  That seems to do the trick.

Is this what you had in mind?  Asking for myself and I figure others may also find the steps helpful.
No MC support scaling, 125% scaling should look fine.125% should be almost as 100% for most places. but can be different sometimes. because 125% scaling is a weird scaling factor that cause fraction error when caluclating sizes.

jabauer650

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 17:37:32 »
OK, thanks.  In the screenshot I posted, it looked pretty odd at 125%.  Looks to me like the tab font is almost twice as big as the "249 GB..." text to its immediate right.

To work around this admittedly cosmetic item, I've ditched the win10 scaling for now, in favor of Ease of Access > Display > 'make text bigger'.  Unfortunately, I'm discovering other apps such as Notepad++ don't honor this, which forces me to comb their config options to manually bump font sizes.  I'm starting to regret the move.

Perhaps I should go back to win10 scaling, even if the tab font discrepancy looks odd.  If there's any way for me to improve the appearance in the above screenshot, please advise.

Thanks again, and thanks for the wonderful product.

batman69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 14:49:21 »
Hello all, hello jabauer650,  hello Mathias!

I'm still on XP edition ver. 9.8 - there is no fonts issues, which came with 10.x !
Just checking ver 10.2 build 2745 - the same large fonts in drop down devices menu.

Still hoping it will be fixed. I understand here is a complex logic of Win10 with all those scaling, ppi, retina, bigger fonts. Although Win10 is the same, and the new MC version brings this outstanding fonts in some menus.
Perhaps my opinion wouldn't be popular, but I still believe it could be managed to work just normally, just like in 9.8

Thank you so much!

batman69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 21:30:28 »
Dear Mathias!

Tons of thanks for finally fixing all the scaling issues!
I've just updated to 11.0 and all the trouble described in this topic gone!

satisfied batman69  :)