Author Topic: Question about file and folder selection  (Read 5560 times)

verysame

• View Profile
Question about file and folder selection
« on: December 19, 2020, 05:18:22 »
Hi there,

I'm trying Multi Commander and I'm finding myself pretty comfortable with many of its features.

One thing I haven't figure out yet though is how to select multiple files/folders using the keyboard only.

Right now, the only way I found to do it is by pressing the space bar on a file and adding other files by keeping the SHIFT key selected and moving down or up in the file list by pressing the cursor key down or up.
By doing so, I can only select files sequentially. The only way to select random files is by keeping the CTRL key selected and then click with the left mouse button.
Is there a way to use only the keyboard for this type of operation?

I'm used to Double Commander where I can select random files/folders by simply pressing the space bar and then moving in the file list with the cursor keys: DC temporarily stores the selections being made so that the user can keep adding or even removing files/folders from the selection.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Question about file and folder selection
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:53:09 »
It depends on what default setup for Mouse/Keyboard you are selected at first start up, Commander Styled setup or Windows Explorer Liked setup

If you prefer keyboard the I suggest Commander Styled setup.
Space , Insert key above the arrows on a full keyboard will select and move to next file.
+ on NumPad will bring up box where to add selection by filter, - on NumPad, remove selection
Ctrl + (+ On Numpad)  will select all files with same file extension. (See Edit menu for more)

Commander Style setup you also toggle the selection of files with right mouse button (shell context menu is then moved to right double click)

If you want to run in WindowExplorer Styled setup you can tweak how it works so it does not deselect all items so aggressively in Explorer Panel settings > Display > Selection and Checking of items

verysame

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 22:33:21 »
Thanks for helping, Mathias

I picked the Commander Style when I installed Multi Commander but I'm not able to follow your steps.
By Insert key I assume you refer to this key?

So, if I press Space and then the Insert key the file selected becomes unselected and Multi Commander moves to the next file in the list.
But I guess I'm doing something wrong...

I knew about + and - but I didn't know about Ctrl +. That's very handy!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 23:46:32 »

Insert toggle selection and move down to next

Space toggle selection and calculate folder size

verysame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 04:43:11 »
Awesome, that worked!
I had messed with the settings too soon and therefore it wasn't working.
This option has to be off in order to work
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:07:08 by verysame »