Author Topic: Configuration option to bypass "are you sure you want to exit"  (Read 8854 times)

thylocene

• View Profile
It would be nice to have a Configuration option to bypass the "are you sure you want to exit" dialog when selecting file -> exit

It is especially useful in the scenario where one has opted to minimize rather than close MC
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:44:19 by thylocene »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Re: Configuration option to bypass "are you sure you want to exit"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 16:13:04 »
You can use some Keyboard Shortcuts for minimizing Windows:
Mimimize all Windows: Win+D or Win+M
Minimize only the active Window: Alt+Space+N

BTW, i never minimizing windows, i let them always open and change between them with Alt+Tab, Alt+Shift+Tab (Tab can be pressed more than one time to jump to the next Window in this Last used priototy List), The Taskbar and a Special Function of 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 16:14:36 by Matthias515566 »

thylocene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 02:23:56 »
Hi Matthias, I would have way too many windows open by the end of the day to adopt that strategy.  It is also not the best in terms of memory usage.  The obvious reason not to close MC on minimize is speed of launching.  But there are also genuine reasons for wanting to close MC altogether as well.  Having an extra dialog to say "are you sure" is just an annoyance.

I was hoping that this could be a replacement for GPS Directory Opus which I have used for many years but now want to move away from.  MC has a lot of potential!

P.S.

Alt+Space is used by Microsoft PowerToys which I use i.e. cannot use Alt + Space + N
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:29:17 by thylocene »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:07:20 »
It would be nice to have a Configuration option to bypass the "are you sure you want to exit" dialog when selecting file -> exit

It is especially useful in the scenario where one has opted to minimize rather than close MC

File > Exit will do a real exit even if minimize to tray is active, so that you CAN do a real exit.

Why not just click the X button instead of digging into a menu or (Alt+F4)  that will now show a warning. (unless a file operation is running in the background)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 22:01:26 »
that will now show a warning
Sorry, i have never seen this warning. Maybe i dont know what you and the threadstarter talking about. I thought the thread starter want such a warning..... But maybe there is a warning and the threadstarter dont want this warning. But in my config is no warning......

thylocene

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 05:16:31 »
The issue crops up when the "Minimize to tray instead of closing" option is set in the Core settings.  One would do that so that MC is in the background and starts quickly.  The only way then to close the app is via File -> Exit.  Pressing the close window X only minimizes MC.  If you select File -> Exit you then get the following message in a message box

Sure you want to exit Multi Commander?

There is no way to suppress that message! It would be nice not to have to answer Yes every single time I want to actually exit MC given the core setting above

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:20:24 by thylocene »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 15:01:42 »
The issue crops up when the "Minimize to tray instead of closing" option is set in the Core settings.  One would do that so that MC is in the background and starts quickly.  The only way then to close the app is via File -> Exit.  Pressing the close window X only minimizes MC.  If you select File -> Exit you then get the following message in a message box

Sure you want to exit Multi Commander?

There is no way to suppress that message! It would be nice not to have to answer Yes every single time I want to actually exit MC given the core setting above

I don't like the idea with a settings. I'm trying to avoid settings for everything, MC is already in settings hell

But how about if you hold Ctrl key while clicking on menu > file > exit, so it will not ask if CTRL key is pressed while doing it ?

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 18:45:27 »
I don't like the idea with a settings. I'm trying to avoid settings for everything, MC is already in settings hell

But how about if you hold Ctrl key while clicking on menu > file > exit, so it will not ask if CTRL key is pressed while doing it ?

This would get my vote, Mathias  :D

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 20:25:23 »
Try Beta build 2790.   Hold and press Exit will suppress confirm dialog

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 00:21:05 »
And why dont you just use Alt+F4 for exit? Its faster than pressing Ctrl while clicking menu. Press enter for the message is maybe the same work like CTRL press. Sometimes should configs also working for other users which dont know all the tricks. Therefore remove the message just, this is the easiest method for a solution. And please give us a search engine for the config-area.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 00:22:43 by Matthias515566 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 00:26:19 »
And why dont you just use Alt+F4 for exit? Its faster than pressing Ctrl while clicking menu. Press enter for the message is maybe the same work like CTRL press. Sometimes should configs also working for other users which dont know all the tricks. Therefore remove the message just, this is the easiest method for a solution.

Alt+F4 will minimize to tray.   (If that option is on..)  Menu > File > Exit will always do an exit.

Doing search in Settings would be nice. and got it on my list, however that is a feature that is very time consuming to add. So I prioritized other stuff..
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 00:29:57 by Mathias (Author) »