Author Topic: Delete command - Explorer method  (Read 5552 times)

wicket

• View Profile
Delete command - Explorer method
« on: December 01, 2021, 21:28:00 »
Hi. Is it possible to use Explorer Delete method in MC?

If I hit delete, it uses MC method, but if I right-click and choose delete, it uses Explorer method.

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Delete command - Explorer method
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 12:27:43 »
You would have to switch MC to Explorer Style.

Menu > Configuration > Quick Look'n'Feel Setup... > Windows Explorer Compatibility

wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 16:17:29 »
Thanks for the hint, but it doesn't seem to affect the keyboard. Mouse right-click --> delete uses Windows Commander delete, but if I delete via keyboard (either F8 or Del) it still uses the MC delete routine. :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 19:49:29 by wicket »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 17:50:52 »
Apologies for not being very helpful: I have been using MC so long (I use Explorer Style) I stopped noticing it uses its own dialog.

Can I ask what is your objection to using the MC dialog?  It offer everything (and more) that the Windows dialog does and has the same buttons and defaults.

wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 19:54:39 »
When you delete files from network drives, they do not go into Recycle bin. I have found a workaround, where I change the location of one of my personal folders (for example Saved Games under C:/users/username/) to the root of my network drive.

This way, when I delete a file from a network drive, it ends up in Recycle bin.

This works in all other file explorers and I only cannot get it to work in MC, because it uses it's own delete routine. But I love MC the most, so I'm in a pickle here :)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 08:55:22 »
When you delete files from network drives, they do not go into Recycle bin. I have found a workaround, where I change the location of one of my personal folders (for example Saved Games under C:/users/username/) to the root of my network drive.

This way, when I delete a file from a network drive, it ends up in Recycle bin.

This works in all other file explorers and I only cannot get it to work in MC, because it uses it's own delete routine. But I love MC the most, so I'm in a pickle here :)
If you select to delete to recycle bin the delete is actually handed of to Windows. And Windows will move files to recycle bin if recycle bin is supported for that device.

wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 14:07:13 »
The problem is, I don't get the option from MC to delete to recycle bin if pressing delete on keyboard. But with right-click -> delete it deletes it to recycle bin without a problem.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 17:23:15 »
The problem is, I don't get the option from MC to delete to recycle bin if pressing delete on keyboard. But with right-click -> delete it deletes it to recycle bin without a problem.

Then you are on a device that it detects as recycle bin not supported. Networks folder are normally not supported for that. Unless you do crazy workarounds.
So I guess it detects that it is on a network share
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 17:25:48 by Mathias (Author) »