Author Topic: Can not open a zipped html in Browser Chrome  (Read 4901 times)

commander

• View Profile
Can not open a zipped html in Browser Chrome
« on: January 14, 2022, 15:12:33 »
x64 v11.5 build 2842 Portable

I mentioned this problem before in the thread: http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,4181.msg11901.html#msg11901

I like to store html files in zipped format, and try to open them in MultiCommander directly. (double click the zip and then double click the html) It does bring up Chrome but Chrome can't find the local file location. I check that file path, and it's really not there. (file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/_mc_/mc_E509.tmp/_20220114.html)

Don't you have this issue?

I would like to upload a simple zip, but I think no one dare to open it. You could just create the simplest one by yourself.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 16:36:00 by commander »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Can not open a zipped html in Browser Chrome
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:22:05 »
How do you zip the html files?  From MC or an external utility (like WinZip, PeaZip, or another tool?)

commander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 07:01:19 »
I tried 7-zip, Windows, MultiCommder

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 14:22:50 »
MC will not temporary unzip the entire zip file when you click on a file in a file. That is why it is not working. And option for temporary unpacking entire zip or just the clicked file is planned but not implemented yet.

commander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 15:29:20 »
Interestingly, if "internet explorer" is the default browser (Windows:settings->Default apps->Web browser), it can find the tmp file path and show the html file. The old Edge can also do it. So that means MC really extracts the file to the tmp path? (as file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/_mc_/mc_8483.tmp/report_20220110.html)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 16:15:48 »
Not sure what you mean.. Maybe you are trying to say something else.

But if you has a zip file and browse into that with mc and select to view or execute a file. That file must be unpack from the zip to some place.. But MC only unzip that file. not the entire archive. Because often that are not wanted you want if you only want to view one file. How ever web pages that are save are built up from many many files. so when the web browser opens the html file and want to read the rest. the rest is not there.

commander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 11:33:36 »
Not sure what you mean.. Maybe you are trying to say something else.

But if you has a zip file and browse into that with mc and select to view or execute a file. That file must be unpack from the zip to some place.. But MC only unzip that file. not the entire archive. Because often that are not wanted you want if you only want to view one file. How ever web pages that are save are built up from many many files. so when the web browser opens the html file and want to read the rest. the rest is not there.
Sorry, I didn't describe my issue well.
Each zip has one and only one file, html. That html doesn't depend on any external resources. I have uploaded a hello.zip, which writes only <html><p>Hello World</p></html>. Just double click zip and then double click the html in MC. Hope you could reproduce what I said. (Chrome is invoked but it can't find the temporarily extracted html)