Author Topic: Rename and save  (Read 3263 times)

ebbremmer

• View Profile
Rename and save
« on: January 29, 2022, 16:42:17 »
Hello,

I've just installed Multi Commander And I'm trying to capitalize file names. I know, this can be found under "Tools". After renaming it, the screen shows the correct file names. However, when I check this with the Windows Explorer, the names are not changed. Did I forget to save it? How to do this?

Please, advise.

Regards,
Eric

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Rename and save
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 15:10:36 »
I'm not able to reproduce that.

If a file in MC is renamed, but not renamed on disk. Then when MC asked Windows to renamed it. It returned saying everything was successful.
You can check the filesystem log (Ctrl+L) if there are any errors, But I do not think there is, then MC would not update the view with the new name.

Thing is that the filesystem on Windows will allow a rename / delete to be successful, report back to application saying everything was fine.. The app is now removing/renaming that item from view.
But then finds in a later stage that it cannot do it because of some weird reason because some low level stuff prevented it, or have already access to that file. or some process got access to the file while it was happening.
But this is very unique and special situation where this is happening.

Also doing it over network to network devices running other filesystem can cause issues where they do not always report an error if the operation fails. Also some network filesystem
will not do a rename if only the name is the same. and only character cases are changes..

So when is it happening for you. Only when you use "capitalize" function in tools. ? What if you do a manual rename ? Local disk or Network ?
Does it work sometimes ? only on some location or everywhere ?