Author Topic: Hover preview function keeps getting switched on  (Read 4921 times)

AvidReader

• View Profile
Hover preview function keeps getting switched on
« on: May 03, 2023, 16:32:30 »
Hi all,

The Hover preview function keeps getting switched on, even when I save the configuration or switch the hover preview off. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 19:27:38 by AvidReader »

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Hover function keeps getting switched on
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 17:56:14 »
Can you define "hover function"?

AvidReader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 18:33:33 »
Sure.

It's actually hover preview. It's the button immediately left of the c: button in the menu bar. It looks like a text balloon carrying three little dots.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 18:41:28 »
It will toggle on with Alt+Q.. You maybe have Alt+Q for some other program so that you sometimes press that when MC is in focus ?

AvidReader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 19:26:59 »
I don't use ALT+Q in any other program. It's something that started after an update was made to MC. Suddenly I discovered that contents in a folder were displayed when the mouse pointed towards it and I saw the new feature called the hover preview. It gets automatically switched on from time to time, especially when I switch to and browse external drives. I did save the MC configuration with the function switched off and that seemed to solve it for a short period of time. Unfortunately yesterday I discovered the function problem again.

I hope someone knows how to solve this, as I find it an awfully irritating feature. Aside from that, MC works fine and does the job perfectly.

I edited my posts to clarify it's the hover preview function.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 19:36:06 by AvidReader »

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hover preview function keeps getting switched on
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 19:46:13 »
Is this a new function? I've never seen this before, and I don't have a toolbar with this button. Also, this option is not available in the settings. And I can't find this button. Just pressing Alt+Q enables and disables this function.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 19:49:36 by Matthias515566 »

AvidReader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 20:25:36 »
Yes, probably. I've attached a screenshot of the menubar, with the arrow pointing to the hover preview button. My MC version is x64, v12.8 (build 2929), dated 30 Dec 2022. I am from The Netherlands so the language installed is Dutch.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 23:02:03 »
I cannot enable this toolbar. Under View > Toolbars, there is only the Command Line bar. But I guess I don't need this bar anyway.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 07:31:06 »
Is this a new function? I've never seen this before, and I don't have a toolbar with this button. Also, this option is not available in the settings. And I can't find this button. Just pressing Alt+Q enables and disables this function.

It newer

I don't use ALT+Q in any other program. It's something that started after an update was made to MC. Suddenly I discovered that contents in a folder were displayed when the mouse pointed towards it and I saw the new feature called the hover preview. It gets automatically switched on from time to time, especially when I switch to and browse external drives. I did save the MC configuration with the function switched off and that seemed to solve it for a short period of time. Unfortunately yesterday I discovered the function problem again.

I hope someone knows how to solve this, as I find it an awfully irritating feature. Aside from that, MC works fine and does the job perfectly.

I edited my posts to clarify it's the hover preview function.
It is only turned on manually and it does not save any settings for it. It is only used for the session until toggled off.
And there is nothing that automatically turns it on like a settings for always on or something like that. Only way to turn it on it to click the icon or shortcut key

So I don't know how it can just turn on for you. Something must send a message to MC to turn it on, You don't run any other program that hook them self into the MC processes ?
Thinking that it might be some message id conflict for that app that hook them self into MC and that app..

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 07:38:38 by Mathias (Author) »

AvidReader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 14:54:15 »
I don't know what happens exactly. My external drives may cause some conflict in the MC execution. I have switched off hover preview again and saved the MC configuration like that, May 3rd, 2023. At this moment it stays switched off. I will keep an eye out and will edit this post when I see the hover preview on again. Hopefully I can then mention what I did prior to it getting switched on again.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 15:31:17 »
Hover preview have no settings. There is no setting that remembered if it should be on/off between starts. it is always off when MC starts.

Yes. keep an eye on it and see if it happens again and what you did around that time.

AvidReader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 15:42:47 »
I have found the culprit. It seems whenever I scan a file with my antivirus program, hover preview automatically switches on.

I hope you can find some kind of solution for this.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2023, 17:15:17 »
That is strange. But some AntiVirus software are hooking them self into the process of running application..

Are you activating the scanning from within MC ?  and how ? context menu ?
What AV software is it ?

AvidReader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2023, 22:18:00 »
Yes, I scan files from within MC using a context menu. It's ESET Smart Security Premium.